Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Tong Li <li...@us.ibm.com> on 2015/03/09 04:45:44 UTC

problems submitting patch set for review and a bit of solution

While trying to submit a reviewboard request by running kafka-patch-review,
I was getting some errors which do not make any sense. The error claims
that a file did not exist in the repository but it did. Here is the error:

1. How the problems look like:
	tong@u1404:/opt/stack/kafka$ python kafka-patch-review.py -b
origin/trunk -j KAFKA-1926
	Configuring reviewboard url to https://reviews.apache.org
	Updating your remote branches to pull the latest changes
	Verifying JIRA connection configurations
	ERROR: Error validating diff

	core/src/main/scala/kafka/utils/Utils.scala: The file was not found
in the repository. (HTTP 400, API Error 207)
	ERROR: reviewboard update failed. Exiting.

2. Struggled a lot trying to figure out what the problem was. after tons of
googling, I decided to upgrading python-rbtools

	tong@u1404:/opt/stack/kafka$ sudo apt-get install python-rbtools
	Reading package lists... Done
	Building dependency tree
	Reading state information... Done
	  python-rbtools
	0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 163 not upgraded.
	Need to get 48.6 kB of archives.
	After this operation, 269 kB of additional disk space will be used.
	Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe
python-rbtools all 0.3.4-1 [48.6 kB]
	Fetched 48.6 kB in 3s (13.3 kB/s)
	Selecting previously unselected package python-rbtools.
	(Reading database ... 57284 files and directories currently
installed.)
	Preparing to unpack .../python-rbtools_0.3.4-1_all.deb ...
	Unpacking python-rbtools (0.3.4-1) ...
	Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1) ...
	Setting up python-rbtools (0.3.4-1) ...

3. Tried to run patch-review again. But the command stuck and seemed to me
it waits for some credentials. and it completely ignored the jira.ini file
4. Tried the command again, and it successfully posted patchset and updated
the jira issue after I blindly type in my user name, then provided
password:

	tong@u1404:/opt/stack/kafka$ python kafka-patch-review.py -b
origin/trunk -j KAFKA-1926
	tongli
	Password:
	Configuring reviewboard url to https://reviews.apache.org
	Updating your remote branches to pull the latest changes
	Verifying JIRA connection configurations
	Review request #31844 posted.

	https://reviews.apache.org/r/31844/

	Creating diff against origin/trunk and uploading patch to JIRA
KAFKA-1926
	Created a new reviewboard https://reviews.apache.org/r/31844/
5. it may be good to revisit the kafka-patch-review.py and see why it
ignores the jira.ini file.

When I posted the problem few days ago, I got no response from anyone, I
thought this maybe a problem that other may not have encountered. sending
to the mailing list in case anyone else stumbles on the same issue.

cheers.

Tong Li
OpenStack & Kafka Community Development
Building 501/B205
litong01@us.ibm.com

Re: problems submitting patch set for review and a bit of solution

Posted by Manikumar Reddy <ku...@nmsworks.co.in>.
Hi,
  jira.ini file should be in your home directory. Otherwise it prompts you
for jira username and password.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Patch+submission+and+review

Manikumar

Posted by Jiangjie Qin <jq...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
I saw this a couple of weeks ago, too. It seems to be a bug of review
board. Last time I waited for 2-3 days and the problem went away.

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin