Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> on 2015/01/11 02:15:02 UTC

[Studio] Remove ApacheDS 1.5.x ldapservers and configuration plugins?

Hi all,

I wonder if we should remove the old ApacheDS 1.5.x server and
configruation plugins in Studio?

If users ask for support for 1.5.x ApacheDS version we suggest them to
move to the latest 2.0 milestone.

Currently Studio is shipped with five ApacheDS versions (1.5.3...1.5.7),
each requires about 7 MB, so without them we would save a bit bandwith.

But more important is that we don't have to maintain them and migrate
them to Tycho build, it would make things simpler.

Thoughts?

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: [Studio] Remove ApacheDS 1.5.x ldapservers and configuration plugins?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 11/01/15 02:15, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if we should remove the old ApacheDS 1.5.x server and
> configruation plugins in Studio?
Totaly.

> If users ask for support for 1.5.x ApacheDS version we suggest them to
> move to the latest 2.0 milestone.
>
> Currently Studio is shipped with five ApacheDS versions (1.5.3...1.5.7),
> each requires about 7 MB, so without them we would save a bit bandwith.

Keep in mind that 1.5.x was a mistake we have made a long time ago, when
we decided to move to java 1.5.

Back then, we had 1.0 branch, and we started to work on the next
iteration, but decided to name it 1.5 just to convey the message that
the server was expecting Java 5 instead of Java 4. As Tomcat did with v5
- they had a 5.0 and a 5.5, one for Java <=4 and the other for Java 5),
we decided it was a 'smart' idea. But it was stupid.

All in all, at some point (1.5.7), we realized it was an error, an
decided that the next version will not be 1.5.8, but 2.0.0-M1, starting
a long serie of milestones toward a 2.0-RC1. Any 1.5 release is then
just a milestone per se, and there is no reason to support it.

It's the very same with ApacheDS 2.0 atm : we only support the version
we bundle (so currently 2.0.0-M20 in trunk), and we are expecting our
users to switch to this very version.

So, yes, ditch every 1.5 code from the code base.

Re: [Studio] Remove ApacheDS 1.5.x ldapservers and configuration plugins?

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com