Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "dragan.sahpaskix@gmail.com" <dr...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/24 21:10:44 UTC

GSOC 2011 ideas for custom components

Dear users,
I'm applying for GSOC 2011 to work on tapestry and I really hope you can
give ideas on what you like too see as a part of tapestry.
Maybe focus on some new custom components that you think will popularize the
framework more and be useful for the majority of users.
Please fill free to step in with a suggestion.

My ideas for now are:
1. Right click menu (find existing js implementation and integrate with it?
or make something more generic that can be used with different js
implementations of a right click menu?)

2. Grid enhacements: 1. better pager, 2. sorting params go in URL, 3. Better
HibernateDataSource (more generic). 4.Changing column order and visibility
and saving this in a db.

3.  Integrate Tapestry with some NoSQL database like Couch DB but possibly
not tie ourselves with one driver (Java adapter).

4. Enhance the hibernate support with some extra annotations providing
better control over the type of transactions and open/close of
a transaction in one session (session is opened/closed per request as i
understand).

5. What about making a tab component (like in Jira) that works with the back
button and makes an ajax call when pressing back). Also while on the topic,
can we make ajax updates (zone updates) to add parameter in the URL so that
the back button also reverts the action or so? I know its pretty complex,
but would a simple scenario be useful for the majority of users?

6. Maybe making a notification bubble like in gmail when it says loading..
or sending etc.and also providing the "Are you sure you want to navigate
away from this page" the dialog when closing a browser tab/window when you
have some process in the background (like post or a zone update).

Cheers,
Dragan Sahpaski

Re: GSOC 2011 ideas for custom components

Posted by Norman Franke <no...@myasd.com>.
I've made a more semi-generic HibernateDataSource that works based
upon a SQL query. I seem to need to do that a lot, and using the
Criteria API just doesn't cut it sometimes. I can post that If people
are interested. It modifies the query to add "order by" based on the
sort criteria, so it only works on SQLQuery objects, but could be
easily adapted to work with regular Query objects. Oh, it also has
provisions to export as CSV.

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
www.myasd.com