Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Minto van der Sluis <mi...@xup.nl> on 2014/04/07 22:30:31 UTC

A bold idea

Hi folks,

Lately I had a bold idea, but first let me explain how I got there.

In Clerezza bundles that implement TcProvider are mostly restricted to a
single instance due to the bundle's configuration. The only viable
construct I see (please correct me If I am wrong here) to create
multiple instances is to create another bundle that expose the same
service with a different configuration. This seems like quite a hassle
to me. What if ....

What if TcProviders were more like JDBC providers. Then a single
provider could more easily be instantiated multiple times comparable to
JDBC datasources. This could even be done dynamically like [1].

Going even more loco. What if this was submitted as a proposal to
JCP.org. ......

Please share your opinion.

Regards,

Minto

[1] http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/users-guide/jdbc.html

Re: A bold idea

Posted by Minto van der Sluis <mi...@xup.nl>.
Reto Gmür schreef op 8-4-2014 18:26:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Minto van der Sluis <mi...@xup.nl> wrote:
>
>> Reto Gmür schreef op 7-4-2014 22:53:

>>> I don't see the problem having multiple configurations in one bundle. In
>>> Stanbol for example the defaultconfiguration bundle configures several
>>> services with the same implementation cclass:
>>>

>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/stanbol/trunk/data/defaultconfig/src/main/resources/config/
>> Where exactly in there is the configuration for one or more providers? I
>> fail to see it. I see lots of config, but none specifies where a
>> provider is to store the actual data (like disk location or endpoints)
>>
> Well, couldn't there be a service property set for that purpose?

>>> Could you tell more how this would look like. Would a Graph be a
>> datasource
>>> or a TcProvider? Would we still have arbitary URIs to address Graph?
>> It's just a bold idea and I haven't figured it out yet complete. But I
>> could image that the DataSource allows to create a connection just like
>> in JDBC. This connection object looks probably closest to the current
>> Clerezza TcProvider.
>>
>> For the second question. Why not?
>>
> It's a long time since I've been using JDBC. And had some jdbc pseudo URIS
> somewhere in my mind....
The jdbc uri's are to connect to providers. These providers give access
graphs still with full URI support.

Anyway it was just a wild idea. I wanted to figure out if there are
major objections against such a scenario.

--
ir. ing. Minto van der Sluis
Software innovator / renovator

Mobiel: +31 (0) 626 014541