Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com> on 2014/01/07 15:42:39 UTC

[VOTE] Initial Release of Dispatch (0.1 RC5)

I am re-starting the vote on the initial release of the Qpid Dispatch
message router.  This vote is to use RC5 as the official 0.1 release.

Source location:

http://people.apache.org/~tross/qpid-dispatch-0.1rc5/

Documentation:

http://qpid.apache.org/components/dispatch-router/index.html

Notes for version 0.1:

http://qpid.apache.org/components/dispatch-router/release-0.1.html

Please note that this version of Dispatch requires Proton 0.6 and will
be released pending this vote and the successful release of Proton 0.6.

Please register your vote.  I will keep the voting open for at least 72
business hours.

[ ] Yes, release Dispatch 0.1 RC5 as 0.1
[ ] No, do not release for the following reasons:

-Ted

Re: [VOTE] Initial Release of Dispatch (0.1 RC5)

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 01/07/2014 02:42 PM, Ted Ross wrote:
> I am re-starting the vote on the initial release of the Qpid Dispatch
> message router.  This vote is to use RC5 as the official 0.1 release.
>
> Source location:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~tross/qpid-dispatch-0.1rc5/
>
> Documentation:
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/components/dispatch-router/index.html
>
> Notes for version 0.1:
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/components/dispatch-router/release-0.1.html
>
> Please note that this version of Dispatch requires Proton 0.6 and will
> be released pending this vote and the successful release of Proton 0.6.
>
> Please register your vote.  I will keep the voting open for at least 72
> business hours.
>
> [X] Yes, release Dispatch 0.1 RC5 as 0.1
> [ ] No, do not release for the following reasons:

Getting a release out there is one of the best ways of getting more
people trying it and potentially contributing to it (in the form of
feedback, bug reports as well as contributions to doc or source code).
This seems the best way to get more diverse involvement in the
component, which I think we would all like to see, so I am in favour.

Built, ran tests and installed successfully. Ran simple qpid::messaging
client based tests against it, including client/server example (note,
need to specify extra connection option, set_to_on_send:True).

I also ran RAT on it. The
qpid-dispatch-0.1/python/qpid_dispatch_internal/__init__.py file has no
license but its empty, so I think not a blocker (but lets fix for next
time). There is also no license in
qpid-dispatch-0.1/doc/notes/code-conventions.md,
qpid-dispatch-0.1/tests/config-3-linear/topology.txt or the TODO list.
In my view that isn't a blocker either given the nature of those, but
again it should be fixed.

Some points for improvement, not blockers:

* Should make a note about the lack of any SASL based authentication so
no-one is surprised by that.

* Might be nice to have a line mentioning how to locate proton where it
is not installed in expected location (and indeed what that expected
location is).

* Very minor: QPID_SOURCE needs to be set to pass tests. The README does
advise running config.sh, but in the section after the sequence
including make test is listed.

On the positive side its really nice to have man pages and some other
basic documentation already. Good job!

Re: [VOTE] Initial Release of Dispatch (0.1 RC5)

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
+1

Windows qpid/proton sends amqp 1.0 traffic through dispatch router.

-Chuck

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Initial Release of Dispatch (0.1 RC5)

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
Release artifacts are now on the website:

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.