Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Kurz Wolfgang <wo...@gwvs.de> on 2008/11/13 09:12:27 UTC

accessing repository with webdav?

Hi everyone,

I wrote a little application that lets me store Articles and Documents
in Jackrabbit.
It works just fine but someone now told me that i could mount the
Repository onto my filesystem via webdav tob e able to quickly exchange
the documents.

I have no idea how i would do something like that:-(

I have installed the Jackrabbit WebApplication and on that user
interface it says soemthing about webdav and i can browse the repository
there but i cant exchange the files or anything.

Do i need a special webdav client?

Can someone please tell me what i am missing or point me to somewhere to
read up on this topic?

Thx a lot in advance!

Kurz Wolfgang

AW: accessing repository with webdav?

Posted by Kurz Wolfgang <wo...@gwvs.de>.
Thx a lot for all the responses!

I am working on a Windows System so i guess i will try the Browser and
maybe the "My Network Places" Charles mentioned.

Thx!

Re: accessing repository with webdav?

Posted by Aleksei Lukin <lu...@stu.cn.ua>.
Hi there. I use Konqueror from KDE and it it quite good tool for webdav.
URL is webdav://myhost:port/myapp/repository/... for files and forders vievw or webdav://myhost:port/myapp/server/... for detailed propery view

--
SY, Alex Lukin
RIPE NIC HDL: LEXA1-RIPE

Re: accessing repository with webdav?

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Charles Brooking
<pu...@charlie.brooking.id.au> wrote:
> There's also 'goliath' for Mac (haven't used it).

Mac OS X (since 10.4 I think) supports webdav natively. Just go to the
Finder, hit command-K (or Go To -> Connect to server) and enter the
HTTP URL. It will ask you for username and password in the next dialog
and then you'll find the webdav mounted just as an USB drive under
/Volumes. Works very well in conjunction with Jackrabbit.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com

Re: accessing repository with webdav?

Posted by Charles Brooking <pu...@charlie.brooking.id.au>.
Kurz Wolfgang wrote:
> I wrote a little application that lets me store Articles and Documents
> in Jackrabbit.
> It works just fine but someone now told me that i could mount the
> Repository onto my filesystem via webdav tob e able to quickly exchange
> the documents.

Example using davfs:

# apt-get install davfs2
# mkdir /mnt/jackrabbit
# mount -t davfs \
http://localhost:8080/jackrabbit/repository/default /mnt/jackrabbit
Please enter the username to authenticate with server
http://localhost:8080/jackrabbit/repository/default or hit enter for none.
Username:
# find /mnt/jackrabbit/ -type f
/mnt/jackrabbit/com/apple/info/manuals/en/iphone_user_guide.pdf
/mnt/jackrabbit/com/wizards/www/d20/files/v35/Legal.rtf
/mnt/jackrabbit/edu/washington/alz/www/NONMEMBER/UDS/TRAINING/janene.ppt
/mnt/jackrabbit/org/sae/www/students/fsae2007results.xls

On Windows I believe you can map a network drive in a similar way.

> I have installed the Jackrabbit WebApplication and on that user
> interface it says soemthing about webdav and i can browse the repository
> there but i cant exchange the files or anything.
>
> Do i need a special webdav client?

Other clients are built-into normal file browsers like Nautilus, "My
Network Places" on Windows, etc. I have used the 'cadaver' command-line
program on Linux which provides an ftp-like interface. There's also
'goliath' for Mac (haven't used it). Possibly others?

Later
Charlie

Re: accessing repository with webdav?

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
Hi Wolfgang!

This depends on your operating system. In Mac OS X and (most Linux
AFAIK) mounting webdav as a filesystem is built-in. In Windows
however, you can only browse the WebDAV in the explorer (just like
ftp:), but most programs can't work on those files as Windows passes
them the pure WebDAV URL (http://....). There are third-party
applications for Windows to mount a drive as a true filesystem, but I
don't know which one is the best.

For the Jackrabbit webapp running on port 8080, this would be the webdav URL:

http://server:8080/<war resource>/repository/<workspace>

so typically:

http://server:8080/jackrabbit-server/repository/default

Regards,