Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by "Technologist In Residence (Rafiki Cai)" <rc...@usfca.edu> on 2016/01/23 19:08:47 UTC

PBox Newbie Seeking Immediate Solution (and Hand w/ Building A PDFBox Instance)

Blessings and Peace:

Greetings to ALL.

I am seeking an immediate PDF-to-Database solution. (Description below.)
Secondly, I'd like to work w/ a mentor around installing PDF Box on
Sandstorm.

First things first. Please advise as to a PDFBox installation that can
facilitate the following:

*App Mission:* have two seperate PDF (fill and store) forms submit data to
Knack
                        (Note: one form contains data and an actual
signature. The other
                         contain a single field of data and several photos.)

*App Method: *  1) Have both forms dump their content into a single row
(photo                                  form last) 2) Append each PDF
document as an element in the row

*App Result: *    The result is a dbase row that contains ALL data from
both                                        PDFs *AND*that has each PDF
appended and a row element
                         (Note: entire database should be easily exported
in Excel format)

In Service of The ONENESS,
Rafiki Cai

Re: PBox Newbie Seeking Immediate Solution (and Hand w/ Building A PDFBox Instance)

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
> On 25 Jan 2016, at 11:43, Rafiki Cai <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> FormRouter.Com is an example of what you say doesn't exist.

That’s not a database, it’s a simply an HTTP server which receives form POST requests
and routes them to SharePoint.

PDF form submission is simply an HTTP request, any web server can receive the payload
from a PDF form. PDFBox doesn’t play a role in that process, other than the fact that you
can create and fill the forms using PDFBox. PDFBox doesn’t give you a web server, or a
database.

— John

Posted by Tres Finocchiaro <tr...@gmail.com>.
Rafiki,

I am seeking an immediate PDF-to-Database solution.

Urgency demands on a public, community-supported list are never taken well
<http://www.che.ncsu.edu/bullard/Professional_Development/Electronic%20etiquette.htm>
.

In fairness, my inquiry is not about dbasea in general, but
exclusively PDF driven
> dbases.

No, your underlying question is REALLY about design, because what you're
asking for doesn't readily exist, just like a flying car
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnF2yua4KIw>.

Once you have the record injection working in (i.e. Java) without PDFBOX,
then your specific, PDFBOX-specific questions become relevant.  Otherwise,
you may have luck looking on Freelancer, Fiverr, Craigslist, or via a
Bounty.

This may seem strange that PDFBOX doesn't offer such a thing, as some
form-based technologies (such as InfoPath) support direct database
bindings... but you'll also notice that these solutions tend to be
expensive, proprietary, closed source, and very platform specific.

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro@gmail.com

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Rafiki Cai <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Rafiki Cai <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Rafiki Cai <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 24.01.2016 um 01:53 schrieb Technologist In Residence (Rafiki Cai):
> has already crafted a PDF form-to-database or

There is a recent thread "Add a Submit Action to PDPushButton" that has
some code

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/pdfbox-users/201601.mbox/browser

Re: PBox Newbie Seeking Immediate Solution (and Hand w/ Building A PDFBox Instance)

Posted by "Technologist In Residence (Rafiki Cai)" <rc...@usfca.edu>.
Greeting, John:

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
Hi Rafiki,