Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Alex Rydzewski <ar...@elyland.net> on 2021/08/17 08:08:34 UTC

Re: Detect data directory changes

Kind times, Juan!

Thanks for your explanations!

In my case does not suppose to change wiki from external, if that may
say. I have two VMs with jspwiki and frontend nginx (with load balance
configuration) for reliability in cases when one instance will be
stopped. People which changes wiki pages do it on one of instance and my
problem is nothing changes on second without reload corresponding tomcat
context.

I will try implement first variant from your suggestions. Any additional
information or ideas greatly appreciated.

On 2021/07/27 13:31:13, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <j....@gmail.com> wrote:
 > Hi Alex,>
 >
 > apologies for the delayed response.>
 >
 > JSPWiki by default uses ehcache to request pages faster. If a page is>
 > changed externally to JSPWiki, it won't be able to detect that a
change has>
 > been made on that page, and won't see it until the cache expires.>
 >
 > Also, modifying a page externally to JSPWiki isn't usually a good idea,>
 > when the new page content is picked up, the associated page metadata>
 > changes (i.e., author) will be lost.>
 >
 > For this particular case though, given that you want to synchronize a
page>
 > repository for 2 JSPWiki installations, I can think of the following
options>

 > * configure ehcache so it runs on cluster, syncing both JSPWiki caches.>
 > This is the most complex setup of all the options (requires some
presumably>
 > complex ehcache configuration which I haven't looked into, it'll be>
 > specific to your installation, you'll have to tweak JSPWiki's ehcache>
 > configuration).>
 > * deactivate the caching mechanism on both instances, or at least in
the>
 > one which is being synced. Every time you hit JSPWiki you'll go to
disk (or>
 > where your page provider uses), so it'll be slower than the first
case. How>
 > slower will depend (again) on multiple factors and might be
reasonable to>
 > you. You might gain the lost speed if you put a web server (Apache,
Nginx)>
 > in front of JSPWiki to cache its requests.>
 > * cron some JSPWiki restarts, purging cache data between shutdown and>
 > start. Ugly, but it is another option too.>
 >

 > best regards,>
 > juan pablo>
 >
 > El lun., 19 jul. 2021 11:11, Alex Rydzewski <ar...@elyland.net>>
 > escribió:>
 >
 > > Kind times, jspwiki community!>
 > >>
 > > I have some trouble with next case...>
 > >>
 > > In my environment two virtual servers with tomcat9 and jspwiki has>
 > > configured, which have ceph-fs shared the data directory. When any>
 > > changes for jspwiki was did on one of the server, the changes applied>
 > > only on that server.>
 > >>
 > > Tell me please, which is adecuate method for detect changes in data>
 > > directory and apply them to jspwiki server.>
 > >>
 > > Thanks in advance.>
 > >>
 > > -->
 > > З найкращими побажаннями, Олександр Ридзевський |With best regards,
Mr.>

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

perhaps the fastest way is to modify jspwiki's own ehcache.xml file,
building a differente war with different ehcache.xml setting up
ehcache file for each instance.

ehcache reference can be found at https://www.ehcache.org/ehcache.xml, but
perhaps following an example is easier.
https://javaheap.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/distributed-ehcache-setup/
(although old) seems to be a good starting point

HTH,
juan pablo