Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Thamm, Russell" <ru...@dsto.defence.gov.au> on 2004/12/13 06:07:01 UTC

Corrupt Repository

Hi,

This morning, I tried to check-out a fresh copy of my repository and I got the error:

REPORT request failed on '/svn/ssc/!svn/vcc/default blah blah blah

In the apache error log, I found the following error:

Checksum mismatch on rep 'kn':\n blah blah blah

Can I repair my repository?

I have an up-to-date working directory. I could use this to recreate my repository
but I would then lose my history.

The really annoying thing is that the corrupt file hasn't be modified since day 1, it is still
version 1.

thanks
Russell Thamm

Re: Corrupt Repository

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> "Thamm, Russell" <ru...@dsto.defence.gov.au> writes:
>> This morning, I tried to check-out a fresh copy of my repository and
>> I got the error:
>>
>> REPORT request failed on '/svn/ssc/!svn/vcc/default blah blah blah
>>
>> In the apache error log, I found the following error:
>>
>> Checksum mismatch on rep 'kn':\n blah blah blah
>>
>> Can I repair my repository?
>>
>> I have an up-to-date working directory. I could use this to recreate
>> my repository but I would then lose my history.
>>
>> The really annoying thing is that the corrupt file hasn't be
>> modified since day 1, it is still version 1.
>
> We'd love a lot more detail about your setup: version of Subversion,
> type of repository, the exact file, etc.  Has your disk filled up
> recently or anything?  Is the repository large, can you save it before
> you do anything further?

Reiterating that the above would be very interesting.

Regarding repair:

FIRST, MAKE A BACKUP OF THE REPOSITORY

I'm going to assume you have the Berkeley DB db_dump and db_load programs
available.

cd repository/db
db_dump -p representations > reps.txt
your-favourite-editor reps.txt

Find the line which is exactly the string " kn".
On the line below, look for the substring that is like:

(md5 16 some-mess-here))

Change the some-mess-here to 16 repetitions of the 3-character string "\00".

Save and exit.

db_load representations < reps.txt

Now, try "svnadmin dump" on the repository.

If there are further errors, the best course of action would probably be for
you to give me a tarball of the repository for repair.

Max.

Re: Corrupt Repository

Posted by kf...@collab.net.