Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in> on 2007/08/14 12:07:20 UTC

fake MX records

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/OtherTricks    this page mentions
setting up fake MXes

Is this method relevant today too with a lot of spam being relayed
through proper smtp channels

The page says the primary MX should not be accepting connections at all.
Has anyone else tried this , will this cause delay in my mail

Thanks
Ram

Re: fake MX records

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Marc Perkel wrote on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:52:22 -0700:

> So what do you attribute my success in getting rid of all bot spam to?

As I don't know your setup this would be pure speculation. However, as *I*
am not using fake MXs, but several other MTA techniques and see not much
Botnet spam either I would suspect that it's rather the other techniques
that cut it.
On the other hand, I wonder how you can collect so much spam or spammer
IPs (as you claim and I believe it) if no Botnet spam reaches you.

Please, don't use HTML on mailing lists, thanks!

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: fake MX records

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 8/15/2007 11:46 AM, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

>>> So what do you attribute my success in getting rid of all bot spam to?
>>
>> Perhaps to the other "hundreds or tricks" that you've repeatedly
>> claimed you use to block 99% of spam before it gets to SpamAssassin?
>
> Maybe I have a better idea about what's working on my servers than you
> do. Having fake high and low MX records will get rid of almost all of
> your bot spam. It's that easy.

Maybe, if you weren't just trying to troll, you wouldn't ask for what
others "attribute your success to" and then get all pissy when they respond.

Regardless, if you really believe that you never fail to receive mail
from others attempting to send mail to your customers you're (i) lying
to yourself or simply lack understanding of the reality of the MTA
landscape and (ii) are doing your customers a huge disservice -- more of
a disservice than if you still used a "fake MX" but at least realized
the reality of the consequences that you continuously deny.

Daryl

Re: fake MX records

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Re: fake MX records

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Re: fake MX records

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Re: fake MX records

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Re: fake MX records

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Kshatriya wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, ram wrote:
>
>> The page says the primary MX should not be accepting connections at all.
>> Has anyone else tried this , will this cause delay in my mail
>
> It almost doesn't work anymore. Better try adaptive greylisting, with
> some whitelists so you don't notice too much of delays.
>
> K.

I'm using it on 1600 domains and it definitely works. I get not bot spam
at all. I didn't even know what PDF spam was untill I was it discussed here.

Re: fake MX records

Posted by Robert Schetterer <ro...@schetterer.org>.

Re: fake MX records

Posted by Kshatriya <ks...@gmail.com>.