Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Ely Rances <er...@exist.com> on 2005/01/22 01:28:44 UTC

InstantiationException in Torque with Derby

Exist SoftwarelabsHi,

We have an application that makes use of jetspeed (with turbine and torque) and we would want to integrate it with Derby(embedded) Database.  We've downloaded and build the branch in torque(TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH) that supports derby. Generated  and deployed the 3 jars in maven : torque-3.1.2-dev.jar, torque-gen-3.1.2-dev.jar and maven-torque-plugin-3.1.2-dev.jar. After generating the OM files, We've deployed the application in Tomcat. But when we access the application, we get an  java.lang.InstantiationException exception in the log file and Null pointer exception in the console. We checked the derby.log file and there is no error thrown. Below are the stack trace we get :

in the log file :

2005-01-21 13:49:25,063 [main] INFO  ComponentLoader - loading component: name=torque class=org.apache.torque.Torque config=C:\workspace\..\target\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30\bin\..\webapps\webapp-name\WEB-INF\conf\Torque.properties
2005-01-21 13:49:25,073 [main] ERROR ComponentLoader - org.apache.torque.Torque could not be initialized!
java.lang.InstantiationException
 at sun.reflect.InstantiationExceptionConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(InstantiationExceptionConstructorAccessorImpl.java:30)
 at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
 at org.apache.stratum.component.ComponentLoader.loadComponent(ComponentLoader.java:212)
 at org.apache.stratum.component.ComponentLoader.load(ComponentLoader.java:179)
 at org.apache.turbine.services.component.TurbineComponentService.init(TurbineComponentService.java:163)
 at org.apache.turbine.services.TurbineBaseService.init(TurbineBaseService.java:108)
 at org.apache.turbine.services.BaseInitableBroker.initClass(BaseInitableBroker.java:149)
 at org.apache.turbine.services.BaseServiceBroker.doInitService(BaseServiceBroker.java:224)
 at org.apache.turbine.services.BaseServiceBroker.initServices(BaseServiceBroker.java:193)
 at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.init(Turbine.java:257)
 at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:256)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:935)

in tomcat console :

[ERROR] BasePeer - -org.apache.torque.TorqueException: java.lang.NullPointerExce
ption
[ERROR] BasePeer - -A FATAL ERROR has occurred which should not have happened un
der any circumstance.  Please notify the Torque developers <turbine-torque-dev@j
akarta.apache.org> and give as many details as possible (including the error sta
ck trace). <java.lang.Error: Error in BasePeer.initTableSchema(TURBINE_USER): ja
va.lang.NullPointerException>java.lang.Error: Error in BasePeer.initTableSchema(
TURBINE_USER): java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.initTableSchema(BasePeer.java:141)
        at org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.initTableSchema(BasePeer.java:116)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.om.security.turbine.TurbineUserPeer.<clinit>(Turb
ineUserPeer.java:51)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.om.security.turbine.BaseTurbineUser.<clinit>(Base
TurbineUser.java:36)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.om.security.turbine.BaseTurbineUserPeer.initClass
(BaseTurbineUserPeer.java:141)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.om.security.turbine.BaseTurbineUserPeer.<clinit>(
BaseTurbineUserPeer.java:128)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.services.security.turbine.TurbineUserManagement.g
etUser(TurbineUserManagement.java:136)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.services.JetspeedUserManagement.getUser(JetspeedU
serManagement.java:59)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.services.security.turbine.TurbineAuthentication.g
etAnonymousUser(TurbineAuthentication.java:188)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.services.JetspeedAuthentication.getAnonymousUser(
JetspeedAuthentication.java:64)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.services.JetspeedSecurity.getAnonymousUser(Jetspe
edSecurity.java:134)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.modules.actions.TemplateSessionValidator.doPerfor
m(TemplateSessionValidator.java:59)

We thought that we might be missing out on something. We would appreciate your ideas on these.

TIA

Re: InstantiationException in Torque with Derby

Posted by Ely Rances <er...@exist.com>.
Hi,

Going through the error logs caused by the exception. We have noticed
that are seems to be conflicts with the jars used by Torque_3_1_Branch
(common-configuration-1.0.jar) and Turbine 2.2(
common-configuration-1.0-dev.jar). I heard someone who was able to run
torque with derby database  using turbine. Would anyone know the particular
version of turbine that was used? It seems that the error we encountered is
caused by conflicts in jars. By the way, what type of derby
database(driver -- embedded, network) was used to run the torque -derby
application?

TIA

Posted by Thomas Fischer <Fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Hi,

I do not have any experience with jetspeed and turbine, but this might be a