Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/02/21 18:21:51 UTC

[DRAFT] Graduation resolution / IPMC vote email draft for discussion

Hi all,

I feel like we have reached a consensus around the idea of graduating [1].
If this is incorrect, or anyone feels that their perspective or concerns
were not addressed, please say so.

Continuing down the path towards an eventual graduation, I took the
liberty of drafting the vote email that we would send to the IPMC,
including the draft graduation resolution that would be sent to the
board if the IPMC approves of our graduation.

I'd like to get your comments and suggested changes...

Keep in mind that there are several places where we have placeholders in
this draft.  That includes committer and PMC numbers, the PMC chair
name, and several reference links that need to be added as we finalize
things.

The pre-amble to the IPMC vote is totally up to us, although I modeled
it after another project's graduation vote thread.  Comments welcome on
how we express our readiness to the IPMC!

The graduation resolution is based on a template, but the relevant
portion to review is how I chose to scope the project.  Namely this
text:

> related to the development of software to deploy and manage large
> networks of virtual machines, as a highly available, highly scalable
> Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing platform.

I stole this from our project's home page ;)

Information from the incubator on how to best describe the project
within a charter is at [2].

[1] http://markmail.org/message/3nluchj5q5waguws
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#tlp-resolution

Here's the draft vote email and resolution:

Apache CloudStack entered the Incubator in April of 2012. We have made
significant progress with the project since moving over to Apache. We have
XX committers and XX PPMC members listed on our status page at [1], not including
the 8 mentors that helped guide our community through incubation.  XX of the
committers and XX of the PPMC members were added after the podling was
formed. Additionally, XX of our mentors will be remaining with the
project as it transitions into a TLP, with XX transitioning into the PMC
and XX deciding to only remain as committers on the project.

We have verified that Apache CloudStack is a suitable name [2], and the
CloudStack marks have been donated from Citrix to the ASF.

We completed two releases (Apache CloudStack 4.0.0-incubating and Apache
CloudStack 4.0.1-incubating) and are currently preparing for two more (4.0.2
and 4.1.0).

The community of Apache CloudStack is active, healthy, and growing and has
demonstrated the ability to self-govern using accepted Apache practices.

The Apache CloudStack community voted overwhelmingly to graduate [3],
collecting XXXXX binding votes from our mentors and IPMC members XXXX. You
can view the discussion at [4].

Our charter is below and on our wiki. [5]

Please cast your votes:

[ ] +1 Graduate Apache CloudStack from Apache Incubator
[ ] +0 Indifferent to graduation status of Apache CloudStack
[ ] -1 Reject graduation of Apache CloudStack from Apache Incubator because...

We'll run the vote for at least 72 hours (closing at the earliest at
XXXX.)

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-23
[3] *insert graduation vote thread link*
[4] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201302.mbox/%3C20130213145014.GE800%40USLT-205755.sungardas.corp%3E
[5] https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/apache-cloudstack-project-bylaws.html

X. Establish the Apache CloudStack Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to the development of software to deploy and manage large
networks of virtual machines, as a highly available, highly scalable
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing platform.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache CloudStack Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache CloudStaack Project be and hereby is responsible
for the creation and maintenance of software related to development of
software to deploy and manage large networks of virtual machines, as
a highly available, highly scalable Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
cloud computing platform.

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache CloudStack" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction
of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache CloudStack Project, and to
have primary responsibility for management of the projects within the scope
of responsibility of the Apache CloudStack Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby
are appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache CloudStack Project:

* *insert PMC list*

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that XXXXXXXXX be appointed to the
office of Vice President, Apache CloudStack, to serve in accordance with and
subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache CloudStack PMC be and hereby is tasked
with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development
and increased participation in the Apache CloudStack Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache CloudStack Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator CloudStack podling;
and be it further

Incubator CloudStack podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are
hereafter discharged.

Re: [DRAFT] Graduation resolution / IPMC vote email draft for discussion

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
Just to update this thread with where we stand...

It seems like we have a consensus on the project "scope" statement right
now (but with an outstanding request from David for a mentor or 2 to weigh
in).

We have a VOTE thread ongoing to change the bylaws on how we select a
PMC chair.  Once that completes, we'll go through a chair election
process on the private list.

After we have a chair selected, I'll edit the draft resolution and post
it as a graduation VOTE for the whole community to vote on.  That vote
will be us formally confirming, as a community, that we believe we are ready
to graduate.

This link has a good calendar view of how to best align a graduation
process with the monthly board meeting:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#toplevel

If everything goes smoothly, we should be in a good position to at least
propose graduation to the IPMC this month.

Let me know if you have any thoughts / concerns / questions!

-chip

RE: [DRAFT] Graduation resolution / IPMC vote email draft for discussion

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

+1

--Alex

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013, at 04:17 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
> How about:
>
> "software to provide and support an Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
> cloud computing platform"?
>
> We shouldn't name "Apache CloudStack" as the only product IMO, since we
> may want to publish things like CloudMonkey as a separate package at
> some point.  I also think we need to drop the qualitative measurements,
> given that someone could use it to provide a non-highly available and
> small cloud (if they were to be interested in doing so).

+1 I'm good with this change.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: [DRAFT] Graduation resolution / IPMC vote email draft for discussion

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:47 AM, Chip Childers
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:

>> > Very good point.  We do bare-metal already.
>> >
>> > How about:
>> >
>> > "software to deploy and manage compute, storage and network services, as
>> > a highly available, highly scalable Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
>> > cloud computing platform"
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>>
>> "software to provide Apache CloudStack, a highly available, scalable,
>> Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing platform."
>>
>> or even
>>
>> "to provide Apache CloudStack, open source software that provides a
>> highly available, scalable, Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud
>> computing platform."
>>
>> Looking at other charters, I don't think we need to get so specific as
>> to discuss compute, network, storage, etc.
>
> How about:
>
> "software to provide and support an Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
> cloud computing platform"?
>
> We shouldn't name "Apache CloudStack" as the only product IMO, since we
> may want to publish things like CloudMonkey as a separate package at
> some point.  I also think we need to drop the qualitative measurements,
> given that someone could use it to provide a non-highly available and
> small cloud (if they were to be interested in doing so).

We can publish things which are related to Apache CloudStack as;
CloudStack CloudMonkey
CloudStack DevCloud etc.

Regards.

Re: [DRAFT] Graduation resolution / IPMC vote email draft for discussion

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
I'm with Joe on this, best to avoid an over specific mission statement.
Should leave room to interpret and grow. Besides the simpler and more direct
the statement the easier it is to consume and follow.

My 2 cents

-KELCEY DAMAGE

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
I like the rewording of the mission, though I'd really like to have
some of our mentors give feedback on that, as it is the most often
revisited part when the resolution hits general@i.a.o

Aside from that, I am happy with it.

--David

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
Bumping this thread.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
> [...]

> > networks of virtual machines, as a highly available, highly scalable
> > Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing platform.
>
> What happens if CloudStack starts to do more than manage large networks of VMs ?
> Pure theoretical speculation on my part.

Very good point.  We do bare-metal already.

How about:

"software to deploy and manage compute, storage and network services, as
a highly available, highly scalable Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
cloud computing platform"

Thoughts?

> > NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
> > (PMC), to be known as the "Apache CloudStack Project", be and hereby is
> > established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that the Apache CloudStaack Project be and hereby is responsible

Ack

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
inline

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
Final adjustment of names:

Adding Brett Porter to the PMC list (for those that don't know, he's one of
our mentors).

Any other questions or concerns?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 01:41:02PM -0400, John Burwell wrote:
> Chip,
>
> If the list of members is both PPMC and committers, my name is not on
> the list as a committer.
>
> Thanks,
> -John

Hi John,

The list is of the PMC members.

-chip

Re: [DRAFT] Graduation resolution / IPMC vote email draft for discussion

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Chip,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Mar 13, 2013, at 4:32 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, here's the latest draft.  It includes names now,
>> although we are waiting for a couple of mentors to respond to a
>> question around their interest in staying with the project after
>> graduation.  It also includes updated committer counts.  Last, it
>> includes the new project description we discussed.
>>
>> It still requires the results of our VOTE thread to graduate (notice the
>> XX strings that need to be replaced).
>>
>> I'd like folks to review this email / resolution draft one last time...
>>
>> Comments / questions / concerns welcome!

>> Apache CloudStack entered the Incubator in April of 2012. We have made
>> significant progress with the project since moving over to Apache. We have
>> 31 committers and 13 PPMC members listed on our status page at [1], not including
>> the 8 mentors that helped guide our community through incubation.  16 of the
>> committers and 7 of the PPMC members were added after the podling was
>> formed. One mentor joined the project after the podling started.  3 of the initial
>> committers that were not in the initial PPMC have now joined the PPMC.
>>
>> 6 of our mentors will be remaining with the project as it transitions into a TLP.
>>
>> We have verified that Apache CloudStack is a suitable name [2], and the
>> CloudStack marks are being donated from Citrix to the ASF.
>>
>> We completed two releases (Apache CloudStack 4.0.0-incubating and Apache
>> CloudStack 4.0.1-incubating) and are currently preparing for two more (4.0.2
>> and 4.1.0).
>>
>> The community of Apache CloudStack is active, healthy, and growing and has
>> demonstrated the ability to self-govern using accepted Apache practices.
>>
>> After holding a discussion [3], the Apache CloudStack community subsequently
>> voted overwhelmingly to graduate [4], collecting XXXXX +1 votes (including
>> XX from our mentors), and no +0 or -1 votes.
>>
>> Our community has created a set of bylaws for the project [5].
>>
>> Please cast your votes:
>>
>> [ ] +1 Graduate Apache CloudStack from Apache Incubator
>> [ ] +0 Indifferent to graduation status of Apache CloudStack
>> [ ] -1 Reject graduation of Apache CloudStack from Apache Incubator because...
>>
>> We'll run the vote for 72 hours.
>>
>> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html
>> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-23
>> [3] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201302.mbox/%3C20130213145014.GE800%40USLT-205755.sungardas.corp%3E
>> [
>
> I don't think [3] is the right link, only points to your first email, not the thread.

I'll switch it. Thanks.

>> 4] *insert graduation vote thread link*
>> [5] https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/apache-cloudstack-project-bylaws.html
>>
>> X. Establish the Apache CloudStack Project
>>
>> WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
>> the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
>> a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
>> of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
>> related to the development of software to deploy and manage large
>> networks of virtual machines, as a highly available, highly scalable
>> Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing platform.
>>
>> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
>> (PMC), to be known as the "Apache CloudStack Project", be and hereby is
>> established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further
>>
>> RESOLVED, that the Apache CloudStack Project be and hereby is responsible
>> for the creation and maintenance of software related to providing and
>> supporting an Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing platform.
>>
>> RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache CloudStack" be and
>> hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction
>> of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache CloudStack Project, and to
>> have primary responsibility for management of the projects within the scope
>> of responsibility of the Apache CloudStack Project; and be it further
>>
>> RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby
>> are appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache CloudStack Project:
>
> I see John's point. Should we clarify that this is only PMC members ? Can we list the 31 committers as well ?

I'm following the required template and practices here. This is a
draft of a legal document so I don't suggest we try to fiddle with it.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.