Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by "Vladimir Kotikov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com> on 2016/02/01 15:21:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] Enabling coverage reports collection and analysis for cordova repos

Hey, guys

I've spent a couple of hours and have a prototype of how we can visualize, track and analyze code coverage for our repos.
Here is the fork of cordova-lib repo integrated with codecov.io [1] (notice the coverage badge at the top of README), and a PR with some coverage metrics [2]. The coverage summary is placed here [3]

If this proposal get accepted, I'd like to enable this feature for all our repos, to encourage contributors to increase current test coverage up to appropriate values.

It'd be great if anyone could give any feedback on this

[1] https://github.com/vladimir-kotikov/cordova-lib
[2] https://github.com/vladimir-kotikov/cordova-lib/pull/2
[3] https://codecov.io/github/vladimir-kotikov/cordova-lib

-
Best regards, Vladimir

RE: [DISCUSS] Enabling coverage reports collection and analysis for cordova repos

Posted by "Vladimir Kotikov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.
It looks like we don't need for INFRA here. The coverage reports is available without any integration - see https://codecov.io/github/apache/cordova-lib?ref=39793cf6b7aaaf05eb9cfa03930d936c1cbf1f16 for the report.

-
Best regards, Vladimir

Posted by "Vladimir Kotikov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.
Thank you, guys for the feedback.
This sounds like we now have a consensus, so I'm going to submit a ticket to INFRA, asking to enable codecov.io <-> GitHub integration, and send a PR to cordova-lib with coverage reports generation

-
Best regards, Vladimir

Posted by Dmitry Blotsky <db...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
+1 This is cool tech to add to our project
It shows more transparency which for me I'm all in
!!

Posted by "Vladimir Kotikov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.
This is not only about visualization.
Codecov also stores previous result and performs an analysis, how coverage has changed. Take a look at the comment, made by codecov bot at the PR: https://github.com/vladimir-kotikov/cordova-lib/pull/2

-
Best regards, Vladimir

Posted by Dmitry Blotsky <db...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by "Vladimir Kotikov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com>.
> What is the impact to our workflow? are we just adding a node dependency, or are there other config/integration parts that we need to do?
The only thing, required from our side is to replace `npm test` (or the command, that executes jasmine tests) witn `npm run cover` in Travis configuration (the coverage reports are already enabled for the most important repos). However, some help from infra side is required to setup Github <-> codecov.io integration.

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
This looks good, as a metric to add.
What is the impact to our workflow? are we just adding a node dependency,
or are there other config/integration parts that we need to do?

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
Hey Vlad!