Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/04 08:32:50 UTC

Re: [general]Harmony snapshot crashed (win32)

Paulex,

we've tried to reproduce the issue on our English WinXP and we've
failed to do so.
To switch to Chinese we've switched to Chinese (PRC) in regional
settings and  non-Unicode programs tab.

Any other hints?

SY, Alexey

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@apache.org>.
Pavel Pervov wrote:
> Gregory,
>
> On 12/4/07, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> BTW I noticed a bug in our build. When subversion is localized, as it
>> happened on Chinese windows, its output for "svn info" is localized, so
>> target svn-prop in federated build cannot find strings "Revision: " and
>> "Repository Root: " in its output. I had to do svn switch manually for
>> classlib and drlvm in order to checkout Harmony on Chinese windows
>> installation.
>

> Is it worth a JIRA? At least for tracking...

Ok I create HARMONY-5256.

--
Gregory

Re: [general]Harmony snapshot crashed (win32)

Posted by Pavel Pervov <pm...@gmail.com>.
Gregory,

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@apache.org>.
Yang Paulex wrote:
> hmm...no idea...I'm using Chinese WinXP, and it can be reproduced
> every time. If I change exactly same two configurations of regional
> setting and non-unicode programs to en_US, the problem will
> disappear...

The problem was that Chinese windows kernel gives a localized error
message when some DLL cannot be loaded (see details in JIRA). This
localized error message is not UTF8, so creation of an exception object
with such message string failed. Exceptions code had a bug that crashed
VM when an exception object couldn't be created.

So first I fixed the bug in exceptions code and then added functions to
convert system wide chars message to UTF8 in order to make it possible
to create exception object with localized error string. I committed the
fix and marked HARMONY-5225 as resolved, now programs start up correctly
on all windows that I've tried (including Chinese one). Thanks to Linbin
for providing a Chinese installation.

--
Gregory

Re: [general]Harmony snapshot crashed (win32)

Posted by Yang Paulex <pa...@gmail.com>.