Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by "Braumüller, Hans" <H....@hanseorga.de> on 2003/04/09 10:44:11 UTC

newbie xalan > saxon question

Hello,

if i installed the latest version of xalan, is saxon also installed? If yes, which version ?

I am considering try some extension functions from saxon, such as generating multiple files from one xml-stream.

Thanks,

Hans Braumüller
      -- + --
Progess for Illusions
http://fortentwicklung.com

Re: newbie xalan > saxon question

Posted by Herr Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Ch...@itcqis.com>.

Hello Hans,

Am Mittwoch, 9. April 2003 10:44 schrieb Braumüller, Hans:
> Hello,
>
> if i installed the latest version of xalan, is saxon also installed? If
> yes, which version ?
No. Xalan and Saxon are two completely different, competing (more or less)
products.
Xalan integrates slightly better with Ant, while Saxon has much more features
since the latest Saxon version implements not only XSLT 1.0 but also much of
the working draft for XSLT 2.0, while Xalan basically only supports XSLT 1.0
and some extensions.

I use and like both, Xalan and Saxon. I started with Saxon. When I switched
from GNUMake to Ant, I also switched from Saxon to Xalan. Now, when
experimenting with XSLT 2.0, just doing some transformation from the command
line or doing really complex tasks (Transformations with 1000 lines of XSLT
code and more) I use Saxon (sometimes new XSLT 2.0 features are required for
that), while when just transforming ordinary stuff for websites I use Xalan.

That doesn't mean it's better to do it that way, that means it's better for me
to do it that way, it's a personal preferrence.

> I am considering try some extension functions from saxon, such as
> generating multiple files from one xml-stream.
That's a very basic task that can also be accomplished using Xalan.
An example of how to perform that task with Xalan can be found in the Xalan
documentation:
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/extensionslib.html#ex-redirect

But for that task I personally recommend to get Saxon 7.4. Generating multiple
files will be a new feature in XSLT 2.0:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#element-result-document
The element will be named xsl:result-document and replaces the redirect:write
/ saxon:output elements. xsl:result-document is somewhat mature, I don't
expect serious changes on it.
Saxon 7.4 already supports xsl:result-document.
So instead of using a proprietary extension of a single XSLT processor, with
xslt:result-document you'd use the future standard being implemented by all
XSLT 2.0 processors in future.

Bye
- --
ITCQIS GmbH