Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Mevludin Blazevic <mb...@uni-koblenz.de> on 2022/09/07 12:26:08 UTC

VM Performance after Template Upload

Hi all,

some of our users have reported that after they uploaded QCOW2 templates
to our ACS environment and started a VM from the template, the VMs ran
very slow. In contrast, VMs installed directly in ACS using ISOs for
example are very fast. I wonder if something in the upload view was
misconfigured by the users.

We are using KVM and in the upload view we can choose Root disk
controller, OS Type and other options like enabling HVM. Any ideas?

Best Regards

Mevludin

Re: VM Performance after Template Upload

Posted by Mevludin Blazevic <mb...@uni-koblenz.de>.
Hi,

using ACS with KVM and RBD/Ceph, it turns out that the user has chosed a
Compute Offering with volume type "Fat" provisioned. After he reinstall
the VM from the template using a Compute Offering with Volume "thin"
provisioned, the performance level was as high as the other VMs. Seems
like there is a huge performance difference between fat and thin,
however, I have not tested out the "sparse" option. I always thought
using RBD as primary storage there is no difference between fat and thin...

Regards,

Mevludin

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <iv...@bw-sw.com>.
Hi, the qcow2 volumes may be thin, sparse, full. Maybe the fs is slow, so
while the image does cow allocations, the performance degrades? Try to make
a full qcow2 image by:

qemu-img create -o preallocation=full -f qcow2

And check again.