Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> on 2014/08/01 00:38:50 UTC

Re: Adding mail attribute to objectClass groupOfNames

Please don't post message to me directly. Post them to the mailing list.

yes, extending the gtoupOfNames ObjectClass is the standard best practice.
Modifying it is really a wrong idea. You would lose the compatibility with
all the LDAP servers out there, and any migration to a newer version of any
server will require you to modify the standard schema.

And, no, you won't be in trouble with your client : just explain him that
it's not an option. Ususally, clients are smarter than we think...

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Prasad Bodapati <pr...@pb.com>
wrote:

> Sorry, I have read that but I have missed your suggestion.
> I am writing an API which sync data from ApacheDS to SOLR.
>
> So is that normal to extend the groupOfNames class ? If my client does not
> do that I might be in trouble.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

RE: Adding mail attribute to objectClass groupOfNames

Posted by Prasad Bodapati <pr...@pb.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prasad Bodapati <pr...@pb.com>.

Le 01/08/2014 09:37, Jim Willeke a écrit :
> You should/could create an aux class containing the additional
> attributes you desire and add the AUX class to the entry, rather than
> modify an existing "standard" class.

That's also an option. ALl in all, you have now 2 possibilities :
- create you own ObjectClass extending the groupOfnames ObjectClass with an additional AttributeType, and use it for your entries
- create an Auxiliary OvjectClass containing the needed AttrributeType, and add it to your entries.

________________________________

Re: Adding mail attribute to objectClass groupOfNames

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Willeke <ji...@willeke.com>.
You should/could create an aux class containing the additional attributes
you desire and add the AUX class to the entry, rather than modify an
existing "standard" class.
-jim
ᐧ

--