Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Labib Iskander, Marcus" <ml...@cm4all.com> on 2002/07/12 17:17:00 UTC

RE: GUIDs (Not a JAMES specific question, but the answer might be )

Hi,
I am not sure, but I think any mailserver relaying a message will provide it
with an id if it yet doesn't have one. Most Clients I think will set one by
itself however.
But in any case I would never trust that. Maybe you will never get two mails
with the same id, but if there is a broken implementation somewhere it could
happen. Don't you want to save the message?
Why dont you simply use incrementing numbers as key. Or more funky ids you
could generate yourself. For reference to other resources or from other
clients you still could maintain the guid as a nonunique key (in the
database design at least; using it in an client application as unique
wouldn't hurt I think).

Cheers,
  Marcus

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
If he needs a truely unique key, he can use a hash.  For reference, see the
Gnutella/HUGE scheme, and then follow references to SHA, etc.

He can also look at the actual GUID recommendations to see how they can be
computed in a distributed environment.

	--- Noel