Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve <su...@digitalnothing.com> on 2004/04/02 21:04:10 UTC

Making Tags Read-Only?

I realize that in SVN a tag and a branch are essentially the same thing. In
the book I believe it mentions that tags can only be created, but not
modified, and to use an access-control script provided by SVN to limit
access. Where can I find this script? All I have been able to do so far is
configure read/write access to SVN(hosted through Apache). Is there a
special key letter(r = read, w = write, ? = create) to use to grant only
create and read permissions?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Making Tags Read-Only?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 15:04, Steve wrote:
> I realize that in SVN a tag and a branch are essentially the same thing. In
> the book I believe it mentions that tags can only be created, but not
> modified, and to use an access-control script provided by SVN to limit
> access. Where can I find this script? All I have been able to do so far is
> configure read/write access to SVN(hosted through Apache). Is there a
> special key letter(r = read, w = write, ? = create) to use to grant only
> create and read permissions?

To control access on directories in a repository, your options are:

  * use mod_authz_svn.  it only understands read/write, not "create".

  * use a pre-commit hook script to control write access.  There are at
least two prewritten scripts for this, commit-access-control.pl and
svnperms.py, both in /trunk/tools/hook-scripts:

    http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/

Re: Making Tags Read-Only?

Posted by Bruce Elrick <br...@elrick.ca>.
Look for commit-access-control.pl or svnperms.py which are included as
repository tools.  They each have their own sample config file with
examples.  The template pre-commit.tmpl is set to call the perl one; it's
not too dificult to adapt it to call the python one.

Cheers...
Bruce