Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2003/02/03 18:48:05 UTC

Re: Should project's run via reactor really pollute the main maven jelly context?

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 12:15, Colin Sampaleanu wrote:
> In the process of trying to create some tags to handle attaining goals
> while using the parent (maven) goal session, I figured out that running
> goals from subprojects via the reactor pollutes the one and only main
> maven jelly context.
>
> I question whether having one main jelly context that is always used is
> the best way to handle things, and is really adequate? If I build
> projects a,b,c via the reactor, and they write a bunch of vars in the
> jelly context, and let's say even create customs tags, which also go
> into the context, and then in the same maven session build via the
> reactor, projects d,e,f, it does not seem correct that any artifacts
> created by the first set of projects can pollute the context for the
> build of the second set of projects. While I know there is a need for
> artifacts create in a subproject to be later used, there is no mechanism
> to throw them away. I am thinking in terms of the need to have a global
> context vs a local context. Right now maven has only the idea of global
> context.

No it does not. For each project there is a context, if in the reactor
the contexts are getting mixed up it's an error on my part. Each project
should be completely self-contained including the context used. The
reactor is still a bit wonky but I have been moving to align the actions
of a project with the context for the project. Where this is not working
is oversight no my part.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com