Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Ron Gavlin <rg...@yahoo.com> on 2007/03/08 17:58:19 UTC

EclipseLink-SDO/DAS & Tuscany-SDO/DAS

Greetings,

Any thoughts on how the introduction of EclipseLink-SDO & EclipseLink-DAS might impact the SDO/DAS work being done here in Tuscany? (http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/eclipse/pdf/eclipselink-faq.pdf). Are EclipseLink and Tuscany likely to co-exist well into the future as competing, open source SDO & DAS implementations (one bundled with Oracle Fusion middleware and the other bundled with IBM WebSphere middleware)? How "expected" was the EclipseLink announcement?

Regards,

- Ron

Re: EclipseLink-SDO/DAS & Tuscany-SDO/DAS

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Mar 8, 2007, at 8:58 AM, Ron Gavlin wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Any thoughts on how the introduction of EclipseLink-SDO &
> EclipseLink-DAS might impact the SDO/DAS work being done here in
> Tuscany? (http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/eclipse/pdf/
> eclipselink-faq.pdf). Are EclipseLink and Tuscany likely to co-
> exist well into the future as competing, open source SDO & DAS
> implementations (one bundled with Oracle Fusion middleware and the
> other bundled with IBM WebSphere middleware)? How "expected" was
> the EclipseLink announcement?

I hope we wind up in a world where Tuscany (and other open source)
SDO/DAS/SCA technologies are truly independent and not just bundled
with commercial products. To be successful, I think we really need to
concentrate on improving community diversity.

There are a number of things we should do to improve on this. One
thing worth considering is embracing and trying to work with the
EclipseLink community. Integrating with them, particularly in the
Java SCA runtime, would give users more choice as well as
(potentially) more capabilities. Maybe we could also see if there are
areas where we could collaborate directly on DAS and/or SDO as well?
Both communities could benefit from this collaboration. For example,
I was attracted by their "marketectural" approach of creating an
"heterogenous" DAS that leverages JPA and supports XML-oriented
persistence. I also liked the idea of supporting JAX-B. I assume they
will have strong tooling support as well which could be a nice end-
user benefit.

Thoughts?

Jim

Re: EclipseLink-SDO/DAS & Tuscany-SDO/DAS

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Ron,

The EclipseLink project won't impact the work being done here, unless at
some point the community decides that there may be interesting
interoperability or collaborative things worth pursuing. Given the lack of
technical details right now, all I can say is that having more
implementations is good for SDO. Note that there are also several other
non-open source implementations of SDO out there.

Frank

Ron Gavlin <rg...@yahoo.com> wrote on 03/08/2007 11:58:19 AM:

> Greetings,
>
> Any thoughts on how the introduction of EclipseLink-SDO &
> EclipseLink-DAS might impact the SDO/DAS work being done here in
Tuscany? (
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/eclipse/pdf/eclipselink-faq.pdf
> ). Are EclipseLink and Tuscany likely to co-exist well into the
> future as competing, open source SDO & DAS implementations (one
> bundled with Oracle Fusion middleware and the other bundled with IBM
> WebSphere middleware)? How "expected" was the EclipseLink announcement?
>
> Regards,
>
> - Ron

Re: EclipseLink-SDO/DAS & Tuscany-SDO/DAS

Posted by BW...@amig.com.
Not too expected, and it's interesting to see the space expand. However, I
believe that given the history of Apache adoption vs. Oracle, Tuscany will
continue to be the face of SDO / DAS for a long time to come. I'm not
re-thinking my architectural decisions on our enterprise dependencies for
a moment in light of this announcement ;-)

-
Brandon Werner
http://www.brandonwerner.com

Ron Gavlin <rg...@yahoo.com>
03/08/2007 11:58 AM
Please respond to
tuscany-user@ws.apache.org

tuscany-user tuscany-user <tu...@ws.apache.org>
cc

Subject
EclipseLink-SDO/DAS & Tuscany-SDO/DAS

Greetings,

Any thoughts on how the introduction of EclipseLink-SDO & EclipseLink-DAS
might impact the SDO/DAS work being done here in Tuscany? (
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/eclipse/pdf/eclipselink-faq.pdf).
Are EclipseLink and Tuscany likely to co-exist well into the future as
competing, open source SDO & DAS implementations (one bundled with Oracle
Fusion middleware and the other bundled with IBM WebSphere middleware)?
How "expected" was the EclipseLink announcement?

Regards,

- Ron

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT:
This e-mail transmission contains information that is intended to
be confidential.  It is intended only for the addressee named
above.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read,
copy, or disseminate it.  If you are not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of
this information is prohibited.   Please reply to the message
immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected.  After replying, please erase it from your computer
system.  Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.