Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu> on 2006/12/07 10:04:33 UTC

Next Botnet plugin soon

I'm going to release 0.6 on Thursday or Friday.  It will only have the
following changes:

1) a typo in the .txt file.

2) I figured out how to get the long package name (
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Botnet ) to work.

3) A coworker found a genuine bug in the IP-in-Hostname check (it would
match the same IP octet twice because I took a shortcut in my regular
expression; this was almost never a worry, except, if, say, your ip
address included an octet of ".1.", and your hostname had something like
"101" in it ... not really a fair match, so I have written a slightly
less optimal regular expression that makes sure any given octet is only
matched once). (I'm using tonight and tomorrow to get some extra time in
to be sure the bug fix works, etc.; that's why I'm waiting a _little_
longer before I release this bug fix)

I may also do a slight code-reorganization for 0.7 that moves the actual
checks into subroutines that can be called outside of spam assassin (ie.
that don't use $pms arguments).  Then include a "give me an IP address
and I'll tell what rules it fails" utility in the tar file.  This would
also make it easy to use the exact same code directly in things like
Mimedefang and such.

So, the spamassassin based calls would take the $pms object, extract a
relay IP addr and hostname (and test for things like which IP's to skip
or pass, etc.).  Then they would call the new subroutines with that
extracted information.

If you wanted to do the same checks from some other perl program, you'd
have to feed it an IP address and hostname in the call.

So, that's my plans for 0.6 and 0.7.  Hopefully I wont need to do
anything else before a 1.0 release.