Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/08 00:02:19 UTC

Development location specific filtering

Hi folks,

I am not much of maven expert and many members of my team are even more
inexperienced when it comes to maven. So we are trying to keep it as
simple as possible for developers. The team is geographically
distributed in multiple locations.

In order to keep it simple, we have set up "developer" as default
profile and just ask developers to import pom.xml in eclipse. Resource
filtering and other functionality works as expected and this set up
works for us in most of the cases.

We are now facing some problems. Remote locations are now building their
own database server locally to improve local performance and avoid
crossing firewalls. Resource filtering is now getting broken as the
server names do follow local customs and requirements and may not be
same across all locations.

One way I know of is to put some entries in <home>/.m2/settings.xml. We
would like to avoid this as much as possible as its maintenance
headache. Is it possible to "include" a settings file or have a location
specific file where we can put some of these values and automatically
use this file for all developers at given location. One time changes to
settings.xml are ok,

Goal is all developers in given location should be able to get location
specific values such as local db server name as transparently as possible.

Thanks,

Niranjan

Re: Development location specific filtering

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> One way I know of is to put some entries in <home>/.m2/settings.xml. We
> would like to avoid this as much as possible as its maintenance headache. Is
> it possible to "include" a settings file or have a location specific file
> where we can put some of these values and automatically use this file for
> all developers at given location. One time changes to settings.xml are ok,

You may find the "-gs" and "-s" command line options for Maven to be
useful in this specific scenario.

Wayne