Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com> on 2008/02/04 07:06:59 UTC

Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Hey guys,
Just wanted to help kick off our way to a 1.1 release

Here have been a few things that have been at the back of my mind. I
think this is a list we should pick and choose from:

* Reduce memory consumption
* Preemptive artifact synchronisation
* Eliminate client side blocking when artifacts are being downloaded
from remote repositories.
* Ability to take repositories (both managed and remote) offline (See
MRM-541)
* Communication with remote repositories should be done asynchronously
* Web UI for deploying artifacts
* Plugin subsystem. We already have this for consumers but we really
should have features like search, dependency graphing and browsing as
plugins so we can turn bad behaving features and also give a way for
users to create their own functionality.

One item I wanted to single out is the separation between managed
repositories used for publishing and those used for caching artifacts
from remote repositories. I don't think it makes much sense to have a
managed repository that can do both.

This separation would allow us to have:
* Provide indexing, browsing and search only for "publishing" (See foot
note)
* RSS feeds for new artifacts in published repositories.

Foot note:
Allowing to search proxied data is a broken idea - its an incomplete
view of a remote repositories and when your dealing with tens of
gigabytes of metadata and artifacts this becomes painful and slow.

Anyway, I look forward to your comments.

Thanks,
James Dumay

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.
Yes, agreed. +1 for this functionnality, which could, IMO, be implemented
rapidely.

Fabrice

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
Not sure about this as I didn't experiment, but what's maven behaviour when
accessing a repository configured with snapshots=disabled and receiving
meta-datas with snapshots ?

The idea is :

in my settings.xml, configure archiva for mirroOf=*, and have a "grouped"
archiva repository , that groups all my repos (snapshots & releases)

when maven request a released artifact all is fine.
when maven request a snapshot and reads meta-datas, it should get the latest
snapshot

The only possible issue here (AFAIK) is that I could get a snapshot for a
plugin when there is no version set in the POM. As I have set all commons
plugins version in my corporate POM <pluginManagement>, I'm safe with this
(I can also use a maven-enforcer-plugin rule for this).

Using such a config (if we supose there is no side-effect), what is the
benefict of having separate release and snapshot repositories ?

Nico.

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
Hi Nicolas,

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
My "managed" repository are on another windows Box (for corporate reason)
and are proxied as file:// URLs.
I have to manage them by hand as the DAV server doesn't support windows SMB
file format "\\server\path" (that gets "normalized" to "\server\path").
That's not an issue for me as there is nothing to manage (only sometime
deploy new artifacts).

My "maven" managed repository duplicates those corporate repos, and also
mirors public internet ones.

I only use archiva as a proxy and cache, so don't care about scanner-based
features on my corporate repos. Hand based management is enough for me on
those one. If I configure them as managed repos, I may get artifact twice on
browse ... to be honest I also don't use the browse feature !

For my use case, archiva is just a replacement of the good old maven-proxy I

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.
Nicolas,

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
Thanks for putting this up James! Your proposal looks great :)

I've also listed below some other things I think we should consider or take
note of while planning the roadmap:
1. When is our target date for the 1.1 release? So that we could cut down
our roadmap and prioritize based on this target date.
2. Review the patches that have been previously submitted but not yet
applied (like MRM-216). We could include this in the roadmap as well if it
is already working.
3. I'd also like to suggest the following features/improvements for 1.1:
   - review synchronization of the configuration object
   - improve the tests where databases are being set-up (use mock objects
instead)
   - statistical reports

On Feb 4, 2008 2:06 PM, James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
> Just wanted to help kick off our way to a 1.1 release
>
> Here have been a few things that have been at the back of my mind. I
> think this is a list we should pick and choose from:
>
> * Reduce memory consumption

+1
Snipp from #archiva have also brought this up and said he would observe this
in his Archiva installation too.

> * Preemptive artifact synchronisation
> * Eliminate client side blocking when artifacts are being downloaded
> from remote repositories.
> * Ability to take repositories (both managed and remote) offline (See
> MRM-541)
> * Communication with remote repositories should be done asynchronously
> * Web UI for deploying artifacts
> * Plugin subsystem. We already have this for consumers but we really
> should have features like search, dependency graphing and browsing as
> plugins so we can turn bad behaving features and also give a way for
> users to create their own functionality.

(I remember I encountered a synchronization or out of memory problem with
the searcher before, though I couldn't specifically remember what it was. We
might need to investigate this as well and improve the design of the
searcher.)

A thought to ponder for the last point.. how big a change would this be in
the current design of Archiva with regard to the search, dependency graphing
and browsing?

> One item I wanted to single out is the separation between managed
> repositories used for publishing and those used for caching artifacts
> from remote repositories. I don't think it makes much sense to have a
> managed repository that can do both.

a big +1 here :) a lot of people has been confused over this especially when
there are quite a handful of repositories being managed.

> This separation would allow us to have:
> * Provide indexing, browsing and search only for "publishing" (See foot
> note)
> * RSS feeds for new artifacts in published repositories.
>
> Foot note:
> Allowing to search proxied data is a broken idea - its an incomplete
> view of a remote repositories and when your dealing with tens of
> gigabytes of metadata and artifacts this becomes painful and slow.
>
> Anyway, I look forward to your comments.
>
> Thanks,
> James Dumay

Thanks,
Deng

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
Maybe we could do both..We don't want to cram everything in 1.1 :) Also, a
large portion of the issues in the 1.1 bucket are bug fixes. We could
probably move some of them to 1.0.2 or 1.0.x, wdyt?

Thanks also for updating the roadmap and jira Brett!

-Deng

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Archiva 1.1 Roadmap