Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo> on 2006/07/16 03:46:03 UTC

all tests should pass before committing?

Hi,

I often find some tests fail in SVN. This makes it very difficult for others
to contribute to the code as we just aren't sure if our changes break anything.
I think that's the purpose why all those tests were written in the first
place. Therefore, I'd suggest that all committers ensure all the tests pass
before committing. What do you think?

--
Author of a book for learning Tapestry (http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDT)

Re: all tests should pass before committing?

Posted by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo>.
Howard Lewis Ship <hlship <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I would love to know what tests fail and why. With the environment
> easier to set up than before (Maven and all that) tests should just
> run.

Those tests failed because of the new modifications (eg, JSON). The
code was changed but the tests weren't updated.

--
Kent Tong

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I would love to know what tests fail and why. With the environment
easier to set up than before (Maven and all that) tests should just
run.

Generally it ends up being because of either a localization issue
(different default locale), or line endings problem (windows vs. unix
style) or a difference in JVM (Sun vs. IBM, etc.).

All of these cases are solvable.  Localization by setting Locale's
default properly. LIne endings by managing files in SVN appropriately.
JVM differences (often in terms of exception messages) may be solvable
too.  The first step is to identify the problem in JIRA:  Especially,
operating system, JDK version, and locale.

On 7/16/06, Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo> wrote:
> Jesse Kuhnert <jkuhnert <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I think that generally sounds like a good idea. When was the last time you
> > noticed some failing tests?
>
> The last time was about a week ago.
>
> --
> Author of a book for learning Tapestry (http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDT)

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: all tests should pass before committing?

Posted by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo>.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

On 7/15/06, Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I often find some tests fail in SVN. This makes it very difficult for
> others
> to contribute to the code as we just aren't sure if our changes break
> anything.
> I think that's the purpose why all those tests were written in the first
> place. Therefore, I'd suggest that all committers ensure all the tests
> pass
> before committing. What do you think?
>
> --
> Author of a book for learning Tapestry (http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDT)