Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Evrim Agha <ev...@yahoo.com> on 2007/03/25 09:09:39 UTC

Question about lib folder of Webapps

---------------------------------
always stay connected to friends.

Re: Question about lib folder of Webapps

Posted by Evrim <ev...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you so much for your replies :)

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
+1 Netbeans is a great environment to work in and very easy to config
BUT when adding any library it is important to know which classloader you will be using
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html
System - generally for libraries utilised during Tomcat bootup
Catalina - generally for libraries utilised by the Catalina container (you can configure in other webapp containers)
Common - generally for libaries which will be commonly used for ALL webapps
WEB-INF/lib - generally for libraries used for just the web application

When your app is looking for a class the search order is
  a.. Bootstrap classes of your JVM
  b.. System class loader classses (described above)
  c.. /WEB-INF/classes of your web application
  d.. /WEB-INF/lib/*.jar of your web application
  e.. $CATALINA_HOME/common/classes
  f.. $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed/*.jar
  g.. $CATALINA_HOME/common/i18n/*.jar
  h.. $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/*.jar
  i.. $CATALINA_BASE/shared/classes
  j.. $CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib/*.jar

  if you experience difficulty loading a class its because the class is being used by either Tomcat or a webapp or both
  (its important to not load the same jar in more than one classloader path)
HTH,
Martin--
This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary , confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
Le présent message électronique (y compris les pièces qui y sont annexées, le cas échéant) s'adresse au destinataire indiqué et peut contenir des renseignements de caractère privé ou confidentiel. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce document, nous vous signalons qu'il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, de le distribuer ou de le reproduire.
Too much pain... get yourself Netbeans, doing everything by hand is near impossible.
In netbeans you can drop in your libs, make your JSP, debug it and deploy it.
Good luck

Posted by or...@kewlstuff.co.za.

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
Try to find out why some files have same name, it's probably because
thay are the same share libraries, just put one copy of them :)

Because what you are doing is building a webapp licaiton, which has some
librarie, you need to know what libraries your are adding to your
application , why and how they react together. Most of the time it's not
important. But most of the time you add a library X + it's dependencies.
You then have to check
1) are those dependencies not already provided by tomcat? If so don't
add them to your WEb-INF/lib
2) are those dependencies already in your WEB-INF/lib in another version
number? Then find out which version you need.