Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2007/12/07 23:10:42 UTC

Status of maven-shade-plugin?

I just wanted to enquire about the status of the maven-shade-plugin.

I've fixed a bunch of things in it and added a few features and such.
I'd like to use it for my projects so I'd like to get a release, but the
fact that it's still in the sandbox kind of concerns me.

So:
1) Is it ready to move out of the sandbox and into the plugins with the
rest?

2) What issues are known that still need fixing?  (I fixed all the JIRAs
at http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSHADE)

3) Would doing a "beta-1" release be OK?  (alpha-14 seems pretty high)

Thoughts?

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Status of maven-shade-plugin?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 7 Dec 07, at 6:59 PM 7 Dec 07, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> Dan,
>
> I think I just fixed MSHADE-5 (we were not closing the jarFile when
> done
> reading so it probably remained locked).   I don't have a way to
> test it
> though.  (No windows boxes)
>
> MSHADE-9 is definitely an issue.   I'll try and dig into that, but
> most
> of that seems to be done by asm.   Not sure why the mojo version is
> working.   Very strange.  Might not be very fun to track down. :-(

I think I know what the problem is, and Eugene will know for sure. He
wrote the tool is ASM that's doing all the work.

> MSHADE-6 should be easy.
>
> MSHADE-8, IMO, would need to go into a new goal/mojo.  In my case, my
> project has NO code or anyting in it.  (actually, no src dir at all)
> and
> I really don't want it creating sources, compiling thousands of files
> (that are already compiled), etc...    (I don't use the relocation
> stuff
> either.  A straight copy of the class files works for me.)  I suppose
> classes could be dumped straight to target/classes.   That may break
> the
> various IDE's (definitely eclipse) though.  Not really sure.
>
> MSHADE-7 - if we don't do MSHADE-8, any classes pulled from
> project.getArtifact().getFile()
> that ends up being renamed could result in a log warning.   Would that
> work?
>

> Dan
>

> On Friday 07 December 2007, Dan Fabulich wrote:
>> Dan Fabulich wrote:
>>> I didn't realize that shade had a JIRA project at the time, so I
>>> didn't file bugs... I'll file them now.
>>
>> OK, I've filed bugs MSHADE-5 through MSHADE-9.  MSHADE-9 [failure to
>> shade plexus-archiver (interfaces not properly shaded)] is the
>> absolute show-stopper, though MSHADE-5 [50% of the time I run the
>> shade plugin, it's unable to replace the original jar] blocks my use
>> of shade also.
>>
>> IMO I don't think MSHADE-5 should be fixed directly, but instead we
>> should fix MSHADE-7 [Shade should generate code, not replace the
>> jar].
>>
>> -Dan

> J. Daniel Kulp
> Principal Engineer
> IONA
> P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
> daniel.kulp@iona.com
> http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Status of maven-shade-plugin?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Dan,

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.

RE: Re: Status of maven-shade-plugin?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
The details about which version I grabbed (and a link to that original
rev) are here:
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/maven-shade-plugin.html

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.