Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com> on 2012/05/21 23:24:59 UTC

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: File associations - LibreOffice and OpenOffice on Windows 7

James Knott wrote:
> Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>> You can try to add AOO associations manually, but it might not be
>> effective.
>>
>> The problem is that LibreOffice, OpenOffice.org, and Apache
>> OpenOffice all use the same (old Star Office) names for the
>> individual application programs.  Even if you succeed in having
>> multiple swriter.exe associations, for example, you may have trouble
>> telling them apart [;<).
>>
>> I think you already know how to do this, by using the Open With ...
>> context-menu and take the "Choose Default Program" option.  You'll
>> have to find the installed files and select them.  Perhaps even make
>> it the default at first, although you can select the program and
>> remove the check mark on "Always use the selected program ... ".
>>
>> Thereafter, they should all be offered in the Open With ... without
>> having to be added.  But I suspect this is where you might be
>> frustrated.  (This is how I add WinZip to all of the ODF and OOXML
>> extension names so I can simplify document-forensic work.)
>
> Got it.  You gave me the idea.  Instead of going into the OpenOffice
> folder and selecting, for example, swriter, I selected OpenOffice and
> it now appears as a choice when I right click.  It also now possible
> to choose any of the three to be the default app.
>
> tnx jk

I have found another way.  Change the OpenOffice files to owriter etc.
This way, OpenOffice Writer is displayed, instead of just OpenOffice.org
3.4, when right clicking.  Perhaps creating a shortcut there may work too.