Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2022/07/01 15:05:41 UTC

Food for thought: /dev/random vs /dev/urandom

All,

This war has been raging on for years. I for one consider myself
"practical" when it comes to security. I think this write-up makes some
good arguments, even if the top section is a little difficult to parse
(it's sometimes tough to differentiate the author's words from that of
the hypothetical foil):

https://www.2uo.de/myths-about-urandom/

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a "freshness" date on it, but he talks
about specific Linux kernel versions, so there is at least a "no earlier
than" date on it.

I'm not trying to start a flame-war about randomness, here. Just sharing
information I found interesting to read.

-chris