Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Rajbir Saini <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2014/08/21 19:56:40 UTC

Ports used by Karaf

Hi,

I am trying to find the all open sockets by Karaf for a security audit.
It looks Karaf listens on 5 different ports. I can enable/disable RMI,
SSH and JMX ports but one port by starting/stopping the bundle. I could
also disable the shutdown port using settings in the custom.properties
file. There is another random port and I am not able to find what is the
purpose of this port and how to disable it.

List of open ports:

ssh : 8081
RMI : 1099
JMX: 44444
Shutdown: Random port
Unknown: Random ports

Regards,

Raj

Re: Ports used by Karaf

Posted by lichtin <li...@yahoo.com>.
rajsaini wrote
> 3. JMX Remote port - This random port is opened by
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote JVM argument
> in ${karaf.home}/bin/karaf file. Removing this entry will disable the
> random port

Setting this system property is obsolete, afaics:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/management/agent.html#gcyjz

Do we want to remove it from the Karaf shell scripts?

Re: Ports used by Karaf

Posted by Rajbir Saini <ra...@yahoo.com>.
I did some research on it and found the following:

1. RMI sever and RMI registry ports - "Apache Karaf :: Management"
opens RMI registry (1099)  and RMI server (44444) ports. These ports are
configurable in org.apache.karaf.management.cfg file.

2. Shutdown port - This random port is opened by Karaf core and this can
be disabled by Add the following line in the custom.properties.
     karaf.shutdown.port=-1

3. JMX Remote port - This random port is opened by
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote JVM argument  in ${karaf.home}/bin/karaf
file. Removing this entry will disable the random port

4. SSH port - Port 8101 is opened by " Apache Karaf :: Shell :: SSH"
bundle. This port is configurable in org.apache.karaf.shell.cfg.
Stopping/uninstalling the said bundle will disable the port.

Regards,

Raj

Re: Ports used by Karaf

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Ports used by Karaf

Posted by Rajbir Saini <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I could fine all but one. I can also disable ssh, rmi ad management
ports by stopping the bundles. I can also disable the shutdown port as
well. There is one more random port and I think it is not associated
with any bundle as I have stopped all bundles one by one and the said
port was listening after stopping the bundles. This is the list of open
ports and Karaf version is 2.3.6.

tcp6       0      0 localhost:44444 [::]:*                  LISTEN
14462/java      JMX/Management
tcp6       0      0 [::]:58654 [::]:*                  LISTEN
14462/java Suspicious/unknown
tcp6       0      0 localhost:38560 [::]:*                  LISTEN
14462/java      Shutdown
tcp6       0      0 [::]:8101 [::]:*                  LISTEN
14462/java         SSH
tcp6       0      0 localhost:rmiregistry [::]:*
LISTEN      14462/java      RMI

Regards,

Raj

Re: Ports used by Karaf