Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Steven W. Orr" <st...@syslang.net> on 2006/12/05 04:12:26 UTC

Confused about white/black lists.

I have some spam getting through that has USER_IN_WHITELIST. I go and look
and sher nuff, the From address is there in the email column of the awl
table. I don't know how it got there but it's there. Can someone please
'splain to me how this works?

* My understanding is that a positive value in the awl table in the
   totscore column is a blacklist entry. A negative value is a
   whitelist entry. Am I correct?
* What is the purpose of the count column. Is it used as a parameter
   in the calculation with the totscore value?
* Is there a command line interface to change something from a
   whitelist value to a blacklist value?
* If an address is added to the table for a user, can I make that
   address be made somehow 'global' so that it weighs against email to
   any user?
* Is all mail that comes in, both ham and spam, using From addresses
   to add to the awl table?
* (Last question). All spam that comes in is run through
   sa-learn --spam
   Is there something else I should do to better manage the awl?

TIA

steveo at syslang.net

Re: Confused about white/black lists.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I have some spam getting through that has USER_IN_WHITELIST. I go and
> look and sher nuff, the From address is there in the email column of
> the awl table.
USER_IN_WHITELIST has NOTHING to do with the AWL.

This is strictly a whitelist_from, whitelist_from_rcvd or
whitelist_from_spf thing.

Be sure to check *all* header that SA considers to be From: equivalents,
including Return-Path.

> I don't know how it got there but it's there. Can someone please
> 'splain to me how this works?
>
> * My understanding is that a positive value in the awl table in the
>   totscore column is a blacklist entry. A negative value is a
>   whitelist entry. Am I correct?
No. That's the total score. The AWL is a score-averager, not a black or
whitelist.

AWL score = (totalscore/count)-(current message score before AWL) * (awl
factor, default 0.5).

> * What is the purpose of the count column. Is it used as a parameter
>   in the calculation with the totscore value?
Yes. See above
> * Is there a command line interface to change something from a
>   whitelist value to a blacklist value?
no, because it's not a black or whitelist. In theory
--add-addr-to-whitelist and --add-addr-to-blacklist can be used to bias
these numbers, but last time I tried it didn't work properly for
existing entries.

> * If an address is added to the table for a user, can I make that
>   address be made somehow 'global' so that it weighs against email to
>   any user?
Not unless you use a global AWL.
> * Is all mail that comes in, both ham and spam, using From addresses
>   to add to the awl table?
Yes.
> * (Last question). All spam that comes in is run through
>   sa-learn --spam
>   Is there something else I should do to better manage the awl?
sa-learn --spam has no affect on the AWL. That affects the BAYES system.

Re: Confused about white/black lists.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 10:43:51PM -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> =>> I have some spam getting through that has USER_IN_WHITELIST. I go and look
> =>USER_IN_WHITELIST has nothing to do with the AWL.  You'll want to find your
> =>whitelist_from/whitelist_from_rcvd entry that matches the mail.
> I promise that the addresses that got through do not have any such
> entries in any cf file. But I guess the problem I have is this:

I would disagree, since you got the rule hit, but ... :)

> It would seem to me that the ones that get through would be acting as a
> type of poison for the awl table. When a spam message comes through,
> should I not do something to tell the awl table that the address it saved
> is bad the same way that I run sa-learn to fix th4e bayes tables?

You can remove the addr from the DB, but I generally wouldn't worry
about it too much.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
Bit - The increment by which programmers slowly go mad.

Re: Confused about white/black lists.

Posted by "Steven W. Orr" <st...@syslang.net>.
On Monday, Dec 4th 2006 at 23:34 -0500, quoth Theo Van Dinter:

=>On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 10:12:26PM -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> I have some spam getting through that has USER_IN_WHITELIST. I go and look
=>> and sher nuff, the From address is there in the email column of the awl
=>> table. I don't know how it got there but it's there. Can someone please
=>> 'splain to me how this works?
=>
=>USER_IN_WHITELIST has nothing to do with the AWL.  You'll want to find your
=>whitelist_from/whitelist_from_rcvd entry that matches the mail.

I promise that the addresses that got through do not have any such
entries in any cf file. But I guess the problem I have is this:

I reject all mail that hits a 5 via a milter before reception completes.

steveo at syslang.net

Re: Confused about white/black lists.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 10:12:26PM -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I have some spam getting through that has USER_IN_WHITELIST. I go and look
> and sher nuff, the From address is there in the email column of the awl
> table. I don't know how it got there but it's there. Can someone please
> 'splain to me how this works?

USER_IN_WHITELIST has nothing to do with the AWL.  You'll want to find your
whitelist_from/whitelist_from_rcvd entry that matches the mail.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"Linux is not beautiful. Because power means rawness. And its up to the
 user to paint it. When he gets there don't get scared. Everyone has a
 Picasso inside."                        - Unknown user from /.