Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2010/10/02 02:01:04 UTC

Re: SolrCore / Index Searcher Instances

: This may seem like a stupid question, but why on the info / stats pages do we
: see two instances on SolrIndexSearcher?

There will always be two "SolrIndexSearcher" entries on the info & stats
pages -- the curret search is listed once under it's "real" name and once
as "searcher" (i think it use to be "currentSearcher", but it looks like
someone changed that?)

The reason is so you can always access stats (via the registery or JMX)
for the current SolrIndexSearcher using a fixed name -- you can easily
verify that these searchers are the same by lookin at the "searcherName"
property in the stats.

: Does Solr actually create two instances of SolrCore / SolrIndexSearcher on
: startup? If one is used for warming, why isn't it destroyed when it's
: finished?

it's the same instance, it's just listed twice.

-Hoss

--
http://lucenerevolution.org/  ...  October 7-8, Boston
http://bit.ly/stump-hoss      ...  Stump The Chump!

Re: SolrCore / Index Searcher Instances

Posted by entdeveloper <ca...@gmail.com>.
Make sense. However, one of the reasons I was asking was that we've
configured Solr to use RAMDirectory and it appears that it loads the index
into memory twice. I suspect the first time is for warming firstSearcher and
the second time is for warming newSearcher. It makes our jvm memory
requirements > 2x indexSize, which for us is a lot since indexSize=8GB.

I'm wondering why it either a) loads the index twice, or b) seems to not
release the 2nd load of the RAMDirectory in memory

Re: SolrCore / Index Searcher Instances

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 10/1/10 9:16 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : > it's the same instance, it's just listed twice.
> : >
> :
> : This comes up again and again - and it is confusing - I wonder if we
> : can't improve what's displayed to make this more clear.
>
> On stats.jsp (or using /admin/mbeans?stats=true) it's fairly obvious --
> they have the exact same searcherName.

I disagree - before I knew about why this occurred, I wouldn't have gone
to the stats page, seen two searchers, then saw they had the same name
and said, oh this searcher gets put in twice - that makes sense. All
these other searchers once, but I see this here name is the same in two
spots, so this one twice...wait, does the same name mean its the same
searcher? Why is it listed twice then? And not some others? Hmm, wtf.

Right...

I think the only people that understand the why/what of this have asked
on the mailing list or read the answer on the mailing list.

- Mark

Re: SolrCore / Index Searcher Instances

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: > it's the same instance, it's just listed twice.
: >
:
: This comes up again and again - and it is confusing - I wonder if we
: can't improve what's displayed to make this more clear.

On stats.jsp (or using /admin/mbeans?stats=true) it's fairly obvious --
they have the exact same searcherName.

We could probably change the getDescription() method to include this
info so it's clera even in contexts where you aren't getting the stats.

-Hoss

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.