Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Patrick Lightbody <fo...@opensymphony.com> on 2006/01/18 00:16:13 UTC

J'J'JIRA (was Non-discussion emails)

Sort of also going off tangent again, but I can't sing the praises enough about Contegix and their hosting service. I know there are plenty of legal concerns that Ted tried explaining to me that might prevent them from being used, but if those can be worked around or addressed in another way, I am positive the Struts community would benefit from Contegix hosting infrastructure.

They are _really_ good.

Re: J'J'JIRA (was Non-discussion emails)

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
Yes, Matthew, you're right, my choce of words is unfortunate. We
discussed the idea of Contigix submitting a Repsonse to the RFP, but
the discussions broke down when we realized that there would not be a
good match.

Since you've opened the door, I'll post the last exchange I have on
the thread. If there was another message after that, I did not receive
it, or it was mis-filtered somehow.

We continue to be very grateful to Contegix for their help with the
OpenSource site that powers the iBATIS and Geronimo wikis, along with
the Roller issue tracker, among many, many other projects.

-Ted.

Posted by Matthew Porter <fo...@opensymphony.com>.
> Unfortunately, Contegix did not respond to the
> Request for Proposal,
> and another host has been recommended to the board.

Ted, there seems to be a communication issue here.  While we were happy to receive the RFP, the date we received it gave us a nearly no time to respond - less than 2 business days.  Even with the information in the RFP, I had a number of questions, especially since the RFP was geared for hiring one person or a company to fly around and administer machines in data centers around the world.  You confirmed this via phone.

When I contacted you regarding these concerns, you told me to submit questions to you and eventually the proposal.  I submitted an email to you with questions right before ApacheCon stating that it would be difficult for me to submit a quote as we pride ourselves on selling customers a solution not just a bunch of servers.  I never received a response.

Since I loathe pushy sales and figured you were busy, I did not become pesky and follow up.  The next thing is I hear about this process is that ASF chose someone another company.  To be frank, it was not surprising since Contegix is geared to deliver services in our data center not to numerous data centers around the world.  We feel this is the only way to guarantee the levels we believe customers want.

I am sorry, but to say we never responded is just plain false especially when you and I talked on the phone, we exchanged emails, I never received a reply from you, and we were given the RFP mere days before the due date.

Sincerely,
  Matthew

Re: J'J'JIRA (was Non-discussion emails)

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately, Contegix did not respond to the Request for Proposal,
and another host has been recommended to the board. When the host
takes over, hopefully we will be able to try more things, but that's
still several months down the road. If for some reason, the new host
didn't work out, I'm sure Contegix would have another chance to submit
a proposal.

What we need to keep in mind is that it's not just about Struts, it's
about the ASF too.

-Ted.