Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Guido Ostkamp <su...@ostkamp.fastmail.fm> on 2004/08/12 21:45:04 UTC

[Book] Production problems & suggestion

Hello Subversion book authors,

thanks for providing the "HOW-TO:  Compiling the Subversion Book" in
doc/book/REEADME.

Although I followed your instructions strictly, I had some trouble
compiling the PDF version (HTML worked fine):

--- snip --- snap ---
$ make all-pdf
xsltproc  \
    --output ./book/book.fo ./tools/fo-stylesheet.xsl ./book/book.xml
Making portrait pages on USletter paper (8.5inx11in)
./tools/bin/run-fop.sh . -fo ./book/book.fo -pdf ./book/book.pdf
(Using './tools/fop/fop.sh' for FOP)
[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] FOP 0.20.5
[INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
[INFO] building formatting object tree
[INFO] setting up fonts
Error creating background image: Error while recovering Image Informations (http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png) : Network is unreachable
Error creating background image: Error while recovering Image Informations (http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png) : Network is unreachable
--- snip --- snap ---

This happened when I was offline (I only have a modem dial-up
connection). The first time I tried it, I ended up with a PDF document
without any images.

When I am online while executing this command, the book is produced
including images.

Do you have any ideas what is causing this?

I could not find any reference to 'draft.png' except one HTML file.

Secondly I found that unfortunately the produced book is in 'USletter'
format (we use A4 paper here). I had a hard time to find out how to
change this. Finally I detected that

   BOOK_PDF_XSLTPROC_OPTS = --stringparam paper.type A4

in the Makefile seems to do the job. I would like to suggest to add
this line as comment to the doc/book/Makefile and/or in the README.

Best regards,

Guido

Re: [Book] Production problems & suggestion

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Aug 12, 2004, at 4:45 PM, Guido Ostkamp wrote:
> Error creating background image: Error while recovering Image
> Informations (http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png)
> : Network is unreachable
> Error creating background image: Error while recovering Image
> Informations (http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png)
> : Network is unreachable
> --- snip --- snap ---
>
> This happened when I was offline (I only have a modem dial-up
> connection). The first time I tried it, I ended up with a PDF document
> without any images.
>
> When I am online while executing this command, the book is produced
> including images.
>
> Do you have any ideas what is causing this?
>
> I could not find any reference to 'draft.png' except one HTML file.

Hurm.  I have no idea what this is... I don't recall ever having a
'draft' image anywhere...

> Secondly I found that unfortunately the produced book is in 'USletter'
> format (we use A4 paper here). I had a hard time to find out how to
> change this. Finally I detected that
>
>   BOOK_PDF_XSLTPROC_OPTS = --stringparam paper.type A4
>
> in the Makefile seems to do the job. I would like to suggest to add
> this line as comment to the doc/book/Makefile and/or in the README.

Well, we've already got

# Book xsltproc options for PDF and PostScript output
# BOOK_PDF_XSLTPROC_OPTS = --stringparam page.height 9in --stringparam
page.width 6.4in
# BOOK_PS_XSLTPROC_OPTS = --stringparam page.height 9in --stringparam
page.width 6.4in

in there, but I've put the line you provided in right below those two.

Committed in r10614.

Thanks,

-Fitz