Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> on 2020/02/07 01:11:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] Feb 2020 board report

Yo,

It's that time which is so nice, it comes four times a year: board
report time!

Things that are jumping out at me:

* Omid & Tephra "adoption"
* 4.15.0 released
* HBase2 compat stuff landed to unblock next 5.x release

Please tell me what else you think is worth mentioning.

If you forgot what was in the last board report in November 2019, you
can re-read it here[1]

- Josh

[1]
https://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2019/board_minutes_2019_11_20.txt

Re: [DISCUSS] Feb 2020 board report

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
With no input from the community, please find a copy of the board report
I have submitted. In the future, at least an acknowledgement that my
"points of interest" are in line with what you all think. I am not the
one defining what things are interesting to Apache Phoenix, simply
trying to summarize what I observe.

<snip>
The mission of Phoenix is the creation and maintenance of software
related to
High performance relational database layer over Apache HBase for low
latency
applications

## Issues:
No issues to report to the board at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache Phoenix was founded 2014-05-20 (6 years ago)
There are currently 51 committers and 31 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:4.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Chinmay Kulkarni on 2019-09-09.
- Andreas Neumann was added as committer on 2019-12-03
- Terence Yim was added as committer on 2019-12-03
- Gokcen Iskender was added as committer on 2020-02-07
- Gokul Gunasekaran was added as committer on 2019-12-03
- Istvan Toth was added as committer on 2019-12-02
- Xinyi Yan was added as committer on 2019-12-26
- Yoni Gottesman was added as committer on 2019-12-03

## Project Activity:

Following up from the previous report, I'm happy to report that both the
former podlings Omid and Tephra have been successfully "adopted" under
the Apache Phoenix PMC. The PMC voted to grant committership to all
PPMC who desired it, transitioned all infrastructure (e.g. Jira projects,
Git repositories) under the Phoenix role, and did some basic updates
to our public facing user-documentation to make sure our users can be
aware of how these (now) sub-projects will continue to exist at the ASF.

I'm also happy to report that Phoenix 4.15.0 was released in December. As is
normal, we are also approaching a 4.15.1 bug-fix release in that release
line.
Activity on the 4.x release line continues at the usual cadence thanks
to the
dedicated work of the committers.

On the 5.x release line, we were largely blocked because upstream Apache
HBase changes caused us some API and runtime compatibility issues.
Thankfully,
after some more discussion on the matter, we got traction by a developer to
chase down the problem and implement a solution. At this point, we are
largely
unblocked to work towards a long-overdue 5.1.0 release.

## Community Health:

We've added 7 new committers since our last report which is fantastic.
We have
not, however, added any new committers. We should take this as an action
item
as a project.

I find the mailing list traffic largely status quo; user lists have a drop
year-over-year but the dev and issues list have an increase of a similar
percentage magnitude year-over-year. In general, I observe a steady
stream of
user questions and developers created and resolving Jira issues.
</snip>