Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2005/02/01 12:50:13 UTC

Re: Struts 2.0 or Struts 0.0? [or Struts 1.42?]

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:03:09 -0500, Alex Kravets wrote:
>�So what do you guys think?
>�http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=31509

An important clarification we'll make to the FAQ is that "by doing our job right" we mean "not break backward compatibility" in the ongoing 1.x series.

There's more than a few things that people want to do with Struts 1.x yet. We're approaching Struts 1.3, and already, the Milestone page [http://struts.apache.org/milestones.html] is looking forward to Struts 1.6.

If need be, we can go on to Struts 1.42 or Struts 1.2025. If there's interest, there could be another five, ten, or fifty years of Struts 1.x development.

A year ago, we talked about a Struts 2.x revolution to give us a clean start on the codebase. But, most everyone wanted to evolve the Struts 1.x codebase instead.

So, that's what we are doing: evolving Struts 1.x, step by step, innovation by innovation, deprecation by deprecation :)

If we never break backward compatibility, and we never start a new codebase, then we never need to roll the major version number.

Meanwhile, another potentially great framework has come along: Shale. Like Struts, Shale is MVC web framework, but it doesn't share any code or architectural hallmarks with Struts 1.x. We could call it Struts 2.x, but we could also fork Maverick, Spring MVC, Tapestry, or WebWork and call any of those Struts 2.x, if that's what the community wanted.

But, as near as we can tell, that's not what they community wants. The volunteers are showing by their commits that we want to evolve Struts 1.x and, at the same time, also work on Shale 1.x.

As someone mentioned elsewhere: different strokes for different folks: different technologies for different requirements.

People wanted to do both and proved it with their commits. So both is what we are doing :)

And, if someone comes up with a third thing, based on dynamic ECMA Script or something, maybe we'll do that too. :)

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2.0 or Struts 0.0? [or Struts 1.42?]

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.
Alex Kravets wrote:

> Well I think 70% is a little bit too much
> http://www.manageability.org/polls/what-is-the-best-java-web-framework

Yup, agree.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-user&m=98268169919293&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-user&m=97660305929382&w=2

Here are some other Struts is dead threads in 2001.
Each framework is good at what it does.

.V

--
Forums, Boards, Blogs and News in RiA <http://www.boardVU.com>

Re: Struts 2.0 or Struts 0.0? [or Struts 1.42?]

Posted by Alex Kravets <ak...@kligerweiss.com>.
This should have been a quote:

  Accroding to latest "market share" reportring (by Raible) Struts is
like 70% of market share. (Having said that, I wish that people that use
Struts becuase it's     popular go away, one should use own judgment; if
everyone used EJB, would you use that too? or would you jump of a
bridge? Waren Buffet has a book and a chapter on Lemmings)

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.
I guess it depends on which group of 700 people you ask, and also how
you ask the question:
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/05/19/2004-survey.html

"What are you using?" (the question asked by OnJava, and is what
market share would be based on) is different from "What is the best?"
(asked by the blog below), which is also different from "What is the
most appropriate for the application you're developing?" (which people
on a team should answer).

I wonder where Raible got his figures.

Posted by Alex Kravets <ak...@kligerweiss.com>.
True. Choice is good. The whole notion of capitalism is based on this.
Choice is a product of competition, and when there is competition better
products come out as a result of competition between number of other
products. Indeed choice is good.

Posted by Woodchuck <wo...@yahoo.com>.
hihi all,

Posted by Alex Kravets <ak...@kligerweiss.com>.

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:31:28 -0500, Alex Kravets wrote:
>�Ted,
>
>�I hope you don't think that we (well me at least) seem to be
>�accusation in our e-mails. That is not the case. I am just sharing
>�my thoughts on where this or that approach might lead in the
>�future. It might sound unappreciative when guys spend thousands of
>�hours perfecting/making better something and other guys try to
>�critique it without knowing what labor was put into this work, but
>�that's the nature of users: bitch, bitch, bitch (I know it myself).
>�No hard feeling I hope :)

I just get confused when people seem to abscribe our motivations to economic or competitive forces.

It's not like that. We write stuff so that we can use it ourselves, and then share what we write with the group, who help us improve it.

Marketshare and capitalism have little or nothing to do with it.

Case in point. I'm doing a private class on Advanced Struts next week. Client put "alternatives to Struts" on the agenda. Since client is in Boston, I pinged Howard Lewis Ship, and he's going to do a session on Tapestry and Hivemind for us.

We're all friends here. :)

Of course, if choice is an issue for someone, there's always .NET/Mono. :)

But, I can tell you, even on a MS-dominanted platform, choice is rampant. It may not be as high-level as choosing between Struts or Tapestry, but it's there. And, as we continue to port Java-bred libraries, like iBATIS and Lucene, to .NET/Mono, more and more choice will rear its head.

Why is there choice?

Not because of capitalism or competition. There's no reason why we would want to "compete" with Tapestry or WebWorks. These frameworks are all free. There's little or no profit motive. Moreover, it's not hard to become a committer on an open source project if you are willing to do the work.

There's choice because writing applications is still way too much work, and we're still finding better ways to bang the rock together. Finding new ways means choosing between between them, at least until time and evolution have a chance to sort it all out.

Does anyone know the absolutely best way to to write an web application?

I hope not! Given how I still spend my days, I'm hoping we haven't invented it yet. :)

And, I wager by the time we do, years from now, someone will have reinvented the web, and we'll have to start all over again. :(

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2.0 or Struts 0.0? [or Struts 1.42?]

Posted by Alex Kravets <ak...@kligerweiss.com>.
Ted,

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Kravets <ak...@kligerweiss.com>.
Ted, Graig,

So was Struts Shale made to make programmer's life easier in creating
Web Applications using MVC Framework? I've read some posts/blogs where

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.
Got it!
Don't worry, we learn quickly.

.V

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:04:16 -0800, Dakota Jack wrote:

>�Please don't respond to this email by saying that those who do can
>�do anything they like. �They can, of course, but that does not mean
>�it makes much sense except for marketing purposes for JSF. �(I
>�personally think that this will just confuse people to no end and
>�that before the tools that JSF is built to accommodate come out,
>�those who are expected to use it and are taregeted to do so will
>�have gone elsewhere. �We'll see.) �Struts-Shale is purely a market
>�ploy for Sun's JSF and has nothing to do with Struts other than the
>�Struts committers got "roped-a-doped".

This is just plain wrong.

There is more Struts 1.x development going on now than ever before.

Some people wanted to work on Shale as well as Struts 1.x, so we opened a subproject.

No big woof.

What people either fail or refuse to recognize is that the ASF is an *non-profit* organization. We can't "market" anything. We provide services to the community for the greater good.

It's not about competition, and it's not about marketing. It's about community service. It's about volunteers contributing to the project.

People are volunteering to work on Struts 1.x, and people are also volunteering to work on Shale 1.x.

So that's what we are doing: Struts 1.x and Shale 1.x.

Again, no big woof.

One developer's confusion is another developer's choice.

Choice is good.

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2.0 or Struts 0.0? [or Struts 1.42?]

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
<snip>
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 06:50:13 -0500, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> Meanwhile, another potentially great framework has come along: Shale. Like Struts, Shale is MVC web framework, but it doesn't share any code or architectural hallmarks with Struts 1.x.
</ship>

As Rod Johnson (the brrains behind Spring) says:

"Do not try to combine approaches that do not naturally fit.  Struts
is at its core concerned with request-driven web MVC, while JSF is
focused on page-centric RAD with per event action listeners.  Both
approaches have merit, but trying to combine them does not add much
value except for interim solutions when migrating from one to the
other."

Please don't respond to this email by saying that those who do can do
anything they like.  They can, of course, but that does not mean it
makes much sense except for marketing purposes for JSF.  (I personally
think that this will just confuse people to no end and that before the
tools that JSF is built to accommodate come out, those who are
expected to use it and are taregeted to do so will have gone
elsewhere.  We'll see.)  Struts-Shale is purely a market ploy for
Sun's JSF and has nothing to do with Struts other than the Struts
committers got "roped-a-doped".  However, if the Struts community has
had a failure of nerve in the marketplace of controller based MVC
frameworks and no longer wishes to seriously compete in this area
(ceding with Craig that other MVC frameworks are superior) but merely
to take care of the old product, this probably does not matter.  If
Ted is abandoning Jericho, then the place to develop Struts-like
frameworks is probably elsewhere, in my opinion.  And, despite
pressure the the contrary, I am entitled to my opinion.  It will be
interesting to see what happens down the road.

As Rod Johnson also says:

"Newer JSF early access releases seem to address everything that
Struts does in terms of action and form handling, rendering Struts-JSF
integration little use except for migration-path and marketing
purposes."

If Struts is not going to develop but rather is merely going to give
its name to JSF and keep doing what it is doing in the 1.x series,
abandoning any idea of "web-modernity" as in Jericho, then I am soon
off to another (as Craig says) superior true MVC framework like
Spring.  I hope this does not create a rash of silly and personal

I do have a serious question which I hope can be answered with out all
the bile that is typical in this area.  How is JSF or Shale MVC?
Where is the C?  I know that this is called a "View Controller", etc.
But, that is just another 1984ish use of a word, isn't it?  The point
of MVC is that the architecture *separates* the M, the V and C, but in
Shale or JSF there is only an M and a V, aren't there?

"Heaven has changed.  The Sky now goes all the way to our feet.

~Dakota Jack~

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this