Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org> on 2017/11/17 14:39:03 UTC

Jira and Gitbox integration?

Hi, INFRA--

Here at Jena we are considering moving our Apache git <-> Github mirroring to accept changes at Github and mirror them to Apache git (currently it's the other way around). But right now we have some nice Jira integrations, and so we have some questions about how that would work if we reversed the mirroring.

Currently, any mention of a Jira ticket (e.g. "I think this could affect JENA-1234") in a Github PR automatically copies the conversation for that PR over to the comments in that Jira ticket. Will we be able to keep that integration if we reverse the mirroring?

Github treats issues/tickets and PRs very similarly-- is it possible to integrate Jira in a similar way so that a PR that doesn't mention an extant particular Jira ticket automatically files a new Jira ticket?

Thanks for any info and all that you already do for us!

ajs6f

Re: Jira and Gitbox integration?

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.
Bruno++

Excellent advice, Bruno! I got answers in minutes. I include a transcript below, but the upshot is:

1) We would lose the Jira integration we now have, but INFRA is aware that people like to have PR conversations auto-copied to Jira tickets and are actively working on that feature.

2) We are the first people to ask about an idea Andy put forward: that a PR that doesn't mention an extant Jira ticket should auto-create a new one. INFRA seemed... intrigued?

To my memory, losing the Jira integration didn't seem like a blocker to anyone-- annoying at best, but not a blocker. Also, a detail: reversing the mirroring from what we have now would mean that commits could go to _either_ gitbox or Github, which is nice.

ajs6f

Adam Soroka (ajs6f)
9:27 AM
Hi, INFRA-folks! I'm from Apache Jena, and we've got a question or two about Gitbox and possible arrangements between Github, Apache git, and Jira. I sent some mail to users@infra, but I think it got lost in the holidays. :grin: Is this a good place to ask? They are purely informational questions, for now.
Chris Thistlethwaite
9:27 AM
hey hey
sure ask away!
Adam Soroka (ajs6f)
9:29 AM
Thanks! Currently, Apache git is the primary repo, and Github is mirrored from it. We're thinking about voting to have that reversed, so that we can accept PRs and use the Github conversation machinery a little more fluidly. (It's pretty good now, but we are hoping that making it a bit easier will encourage small contributions.)
So first question: Currently, any mention of a Jira ticket (e.g. "I think this could affect JENA-1234") in a Github PR automatically copies the conversation for that PR over to the comments in that Jira ticket. Will we be able to keep that integration if we reverse the mirroring?
Chris Thistlethwaite
9:30 AM
so gitbox would enable you to use PRs and GitHub as primary
enables mirroring back and forth
so you could either use gitbox.apache.org or github.com to push changes (though we encourage using gitbox as primary)
Adam Soroka (ajs6f)
9:32 AM
So our current Jira integration should just stay the same, if we "go gitbox"?
Chris Thistlethwaite
9:32 AM
as for the PR integration with gitbox/JIRA, there is some tie in, but not specifically for what you're asking
Adam Soroka (ajs6f)
9:32 AM
Ah, okay. So we would lose that.
Chris Thistlethwaite
9:33 AM
for now, yes but it's a feature we're working on
Adam Soroka (ajs6f)
9:33 AM
Cool, we already discussed that and agreed that it wouldn't be a blocker.
Chris Thistlethwaite
9:33 AM
awesome!
Adam Soroka (ajs6f)
9:33 AM
Thanks! Second question: Github treats issues/tickets and PRs very similarly-- is it possible to integrate Jira in a similar way so that a PR that doesn't mention an extant particular Jira ticket automatically files a new Jira ticket?
We aren't inextricably bound to Jira, but we do use it heavily.
Chris Thistlethwaite
9:36 AM
that I don't think we have on the feature to-do list. GH issues/tickets are separate from JIRA and this is the first I've heard of someone wanting to tie the two together

ajs6f

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Any news?