Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com> on 2000/11/23 02:54:09 UTC

Use Sambe, not NFS [Re: New Module Idea: MLDBM::Sync]

Paul Lindner wrote:

> Might MLDBM::Sync work over an NFS mounted partition?  That's one
> reason I've not used the BerkeleyDB stuff yet..

Paul,

For the first time, I benchmarked concurrent linux client write
access over a SAMBA network share, and it worked, 0 data loss.
This is opposed to a NFS share accessed from linux which would
see data loss due to lack of serialization of write requests.

With MLDBM::Sync, I benchmarked 8 linux clients writing to a
samba mount pointed at a WinNT PIII 450 over a 10Mbs network.
For 8000 writes, I got:

 SDBM_File: 105 writes/sec
 DB_File:    99 writes/sec [ better than to local disk ]

It seems the network was the bottleneck on this test, as neither
client nor server CPU/disk was maxed out.  The WinNT server was
running at 20-25% CPU utilization during the test.

As Apache::ASP $Session uses a method similar to MLDBM::Sync
to flush i/o, you could then point StateDir to a samba/CIFS
share to cluster well an ASP application, with 0 data loss.
My understanding is that you have a NetApp cluster which can
export CIFS?

I'd benchmark this heavily obviously to see if there are any
NetApp cluster locking issues, but am guessing that you could
likely get 200+ ASP requests per second on a 100Mbs network,
which will likely far exceed your base application performance.

-- Joshua
Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA