Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/01/22 21:19:08 UTC

M2 24-hour Branch Notice

It looks like we have the makings of the M2 milestone that has been
talked about.  Dave and Dain made a huge chunk of code available so
that one can deploy and use (in limited ways) EJB 3.0.  Very
impressed gents, kudos to the two of you.

As we did for M1 I'd like to go ahead and branch tomorrow afternoon
so we can tidy this release up without disrupting the continuous
development on trunk.  I'll pull in fixes to address the release as
appropriate so that the server runs and we can show users a peek at a
semi-stable environment.

Remember this is a milestone and not a general release in terms of it
is a view of the work in progress so fit and finish is coming :)

Here are the major items I know about and limitations.  Please
comment where I'm in a ditch or on another planet.

EJB 3.0
- Ability to deploy beans
- Dependency injection still not functional but external plans can be
used.
- WebServices not plugged in yet.
- Simple apps are possible
- No guarantees on old EJB 2.1 apps at this point and for CMP will
definitely require some refactoring for deployment.

POJO WebServices available

The remainder of the stack as previously delivered is available as well.

JSF is currently broken (was working in M1)

Other stuff in terms of functionality and limitations?

Feedback welcome :)

Excellent work all.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

"Have you noticed since everyone has a camcorder these days no one
talks about seeing UFOs like they used to?"

Re: M2 24-hour Branch Notice

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
There's a problem with JSTL where an application that is using it must
currently include a dependency in the Geronimo deployment plan against
the jstl jar (see my note to dev entitled "getting at META-INF in a
dependent jar" and GERONIMO-2650) .....

   <dep:dependencies>
     <dep:dependency>
       <dep:groupId>jstl</dep:groupId>
       <dep:artifactId>jstl</dep:artifactId>
     </dep:dependency>
   </dep:dependencies>

Joe

Re: M2 24-hour Branch Notice

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 1/22/07, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:
> JSF is currently broken (was working in M1)

I don't think JSF was working in M1.  What's currently in trunk is the
same as what was available in M1, which I think was called a
"non-functional" snapshot of apache myfaces.  You may be thinking of
JSTL, which was thought to be working in M1 but now it looks as though
this will need some further investigation.

A couple more points maybe worth mentioning :
-  annotations are not fully supported yet
-  geronimo's 1.x tomcat clustering support has been removed.
(geronimo's new clustering apis will play a role in replacing this
later)

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: M2 24-hour Branch Notice

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jan 22, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> It looks like we have the makings of the M2 milestone that has been
> talked about.  Dave and Dain made a huge chunk of code available so
> that one can deploy and use (in limited ways) EJB 3.0.  Very
> impressed gents, kudos to the two of you.
>
> As we did for M1 I'd like to go ahead and branch tomorrow afternoon
> so we can tidy this release up without disrupting the continuous
> development on trunk.  I'll pull in fixes to address the release as
> appropriate so that the server runs and we can show users a peek at
> a semi-stable environment.
>
> Remember this is a milestone and not a general release in terms of
> it is a view of the work in progress so fit and finish is coming :)
>
> Here are the major items I know about and limitations.  Please
> comment where I'm in a ditch or on another planet.
>
> EJB 3.0
> - Ability to deploy beans
> - Dependency injection still not functional but external plans can
> be used.

Not sure what this item means exactly, but I've fixed the ejb builder
so that it can recognize apps with annotations and no descriptor.
I've also found and fixed an issue that would have prevented
injection from working when there was no corresponding xml -- the
itests that pass do test injection and it was working, just not if it
was only via annotations where the xml would be created on the fly
and not contain the proper mappedName that would hook it up to the
right resource.

If anyone finds an issue with the following features, please let me
know immediately as they appear to be working as they should:

Pojo Session EJBs
Business interfaces
Deployment with no ejb-jar.xml or openejb-jar (just need a geronimo-
openejb.xml for all the geronimo-specific deployment stuff)
injection via deployment descriptor
@Resource injection for env-entries, resource-refs, message-
destinations, service-refs,  most resource-env-refs
@EJB injection of ejb-refs and ejb-local-refs
@PersistenceContext injection
@PersistenceUnit injection

-David