Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Abe Weinograd <ab...@flonet.com> on 2014/11/25 15:11:10 UTC

phoenix client and server versions

As we get a distributed client base, I am wondering if there is room for
different phoenix client and server versions to work together.  This has
accidentally worked in the past.  Is there an official message here?  For
example, we plan on switching to the latest 4.2.X next week, but have folks
who will have the 4.1 or 4.0 client versions.  Will they work?

Thanks,
Abe

Re: phoenix client and server versions

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Abe,
Our backward compatibility story between client and server is
evolving. Our model to date has been:
1) update the server Phoenix jar first with the new release. Clients
one minor release back will continue to work with the new server jar
(this is the scenario for which we test).
2) upgrade *all* client versions to the new Phoenix jar

If there's any upgrade code that needs to run, it will run at step
(2), the first time a new client connects to the cluster. It's
possible that the upgrade code would make a change such that the older
clients would no longer work. An example is between 4.1 and 4.2 in
which the sequence table was salted to improve performance. Once it's
salted (i.e. first time any 4.2 client connects with the 4.2 server),
then sequences in 4.1 clients will no longer work. FWIW, you can set
the client-side phoenix.sequence.saltBuckets to 0 in your
hbase-sites.xml and this particular upgrade will not take place (nor
will you get the performance gain, of course).

There's a desire to improve this story and support mixed old/new
client versions against a new server. Perhaps the biggest effort here
will be to setup the tests to ensure that this works. It'll also
constrain the kind of upgrades possible in a minor release. I've filed
PHOENIX-1483 to further discuss.

Thanks,
James

Posted by Abe Weinograd <ab...@flonet.com>.
Thanks for the feedback. I am not necessarily advocating for one or the
other, but if it was possible to test/communicate the would definitely
help. I totally understand the trade-offs either way.

Thanks,
Abe

Posted by Jeffrey Zhong <jz...@hortonworks.com>.

From:  Abe Weinograd <ab...@flonet.com>