Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/04 02:59:34 UTC

Deploying a struts application (WAR) under ColdFusionMX

Hello all,

I am looking to build an add-on web application to a legacy coldfusion
application.  I have got a prototype working under tomcat and now I want
to "deploy" it to the cf server.  It appears that I cannot simply load a
war file, nor can I unpack it under cfusionmx\wwwroot.  Both apps need
to be in the same application server so I can share session data (for
single sign-on, database resources, etc.)

Has anyone done this?  Are there any resources available?  The
MacroMedia web site suggests (which I also discovered on my own) that
you include the struts action servlet definition in the
cfusionmx\wwwroot\WEB-INF\web.xml file, but I am concerned about
install/uninstall-ability of this web app (there will eventually be as
many as 8 of them, and we want to add/remove/upgrade them at will).
Eventually, the legacy app may move away from cf in which case we can
easily use any app server that suits us.

The choices I think I have so far are:

1. Do what a reasonable container would do and manually "merge" the
add-on to the main (cf) application, adding the ActionServlet mapping to
the cf web.xml.
2. Drop cf as the web application server and use tomcat, moving the cf
servlet pieces into their own web.xml (putting the cf part in its own
context/web app).  This is effectively the reverse of #1.
3. Figure out a way to make cfusionmx accept the .war or some archive or
hierarchy like tomcat would.
4. Figure out a way to make a .car (coldfusion archive) out of my .war

I'm looking for help with option #3 (preferred) or #4.

Thanks for any pointers, tips, or help,
Tim Lucia

Ref:
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/coldfusion/articles/struts05.html