Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by an...@uk.bnpparibas.com on 2010/06/21 11:19:26 UTC

activemq-cpp 3.2.0 vs2005-build directory is missing

I have just tried to build activemq-cpp 3.2.0 for Microsoft-Windows (XP
SP3) using Visual Studio 2005 (aka vc8) but it does not build. It looks
like the directory vs2005-build has gone missing.

Copying the one from 3.1.0 into 3.2.0 does not work either. It fails to
find the command msbuild, whatever that is.

I would to see activemq-cpp use a platform-independent build system. There
are several to choose from. This would make it easier to support multiple
platforms, particularly Microsoft-Windows as well as Unix-like systems.
The one I use is MPC, MakeProjectCreator. I have heard that CMake is also
popular. I dont mind very much which one is chosen but I think it would be
useful to choose one of them, rather than maintain different build systems
manually. If other peole don't mind which build system is used and don't
mind moving to a cross-platform build system then I volunteer to provide
MPC files. If we moved in this direction we could still include the
generated Makefiles in the distro so that it compiles for Unix out of the
box.

Regards,

Andrew Marlow

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is prohibited.

Please refer to http://www.bnpparibas.co.uk/en/information/legal_information.asp?Code=ECAS-845C5H  for additional disclosures.

Re: activemq-cpp 3.2.0 vs2005-build directory is missing

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.
I can get the 3.2 to compile and link, but it does not work. As Tim mentioned
earlier something is wrong with the class, so unmarshall crashes... anyway,
I need to get on with my project, so will use 3.1.3 until a proper project
is uploaded.

cu
Søren

Posted by an...@uk.bnpparibas.com.

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.
app_debug.exe!std::_Debug_message(const wchar_t * message, const wchar_t *
file, unsigned int line)  Line 15	C++
app_debug.exe!std::vector<unsigned char,std::allocator<unsigned char>
>::operator[](unsigned int _Pos)  Line 932 + 0x14 bytes	C++
app_debug.exe!activemq::wireformat::openwire::marshal::PrimitiveTypesMarshaller::unmarshalPrimitive(decaf::io::DataInputStream
& dataIn)  Line 415 + 0xd bytes	C++
app_debug.exe!activemq::wireformat::openwire::marshal::PrimitiveTypesMarshaller::unmarshalPrimitiveMap(decaf::io::DataInputStream
& dataIn, activemq::util::PrimitiveMap & map)  Line 344 + 0x10 bytes	C++
app_debug.exe!activemq::wireformat::openwire::marshal::PrimitiveTypesMarshaller::unmarshalMap(decaf::io::DataInputStream
& dataIn)  Line 155 + 0x15 bytes	C++
app_debug.exe!activemq::commands::ActiveMQMapMessage::checkMapIsUnmarshalled()
Line 177 + 0xc bytes	C++
app_debug.exe!activemq::commands::ActiveMQMapMessage::getMap()  Line 153	C++
app_debug.exe!activemq::commands::ActiveMQMapMessage::getMapNames()  Line
198 + 0xb bytes	C++
app_debug.exe!FW_JMSQueue::onMessage(const cms::Message * message)  Line 566
+ 0x16 bytes	C++
app_debug.exe!activemq::core::ActiveMQConsumer::dispatch(const
decaf::lang::Pointer<activemq::commands::MessageDispatch,decaf::util::concurrent::atomic::AtomicRefCounter>
& dispatch)  Line 1019	C++
app_debug.exe!activemq::core::ActiveMQSessionExecutor::dispatch(const
decaf::lang::Pointer<activemq::commands::MessageDispatch,decaf::util::concurrent::atomic::AtomicRefCounter>
& dispatch)  Line 129	C++
app_debug.exe!activemq::core::ActiveMQSessionExecutor::iterate()  Line 167
C++
app_debug.exe!activemq::threads::DedicatedTaskRunner::run()  Line 111 + 0x19
bytes	C++
app_debug.exe!decaf::lang::ThreadProperties::runCallback(decaf::lang::ThreadProperties
* properties)  Line 135 + 0x11 bytes	C++
app_debug.exe!`anonymous namespace'::threadWorker(void * arg)  Line 206 +
0x9 bytes	C++
app_debug.exe!_callthreadstartex()  Line 314 + 0xf bytes	C
app_debug.exe!_threadstartex(void * ptd)  Line 297	C

--------------

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.
aaahhhh... thanx... now it works... :-)

Søren

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.
btw: we use 5.3.0.4 ActiveMQ.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 05:42 -0700, Sodan wrote:
> getMapNames also fails... :-(

Again, all tests that I have pass here, so I really need to see an
example that fails in order to diagnose what is causing it to not work
for you, there must be something different in you app that we have not
tested for, but without seeing a sample I can't really say.

Regards

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.
getMapNames also fails... :-(

Søren

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.
Hi again

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.
its weird...

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 14:06 -0700, Sodan wrote:
> yes, converted to 2010. Compiles with no warnings or anything, but I did
> change the V6 part, to be like V5, V4 etc... The 3.1.3 project worked fine.
>
> But look at the 3.2 2008 project. v2, v3,v4,v5 has special settings for the
> ccp files, v6 has not ?
>
> Søren

Using the latest devstudio project files in the 3.2 Fixes branch I was
able to create a VS2010 project and build a working lib and example
application.

You can get the latest VS2008 files from:
svn co
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/activemq-cpp/branches/activemq-cpp-3.2.x/activemq-cpp/vs2008-build

You will need to make one small change in the updated VS2010 project for
activemq-cpp which is to change the "Target Name" for the project from
the value given in the update to the following:

For all static lib builds in Debug mode it should be
Target Name = lib$(ProjectName)d

For all static lib builds in Release mode it should be

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 14:06 -0700, Sodan wrote:
> yes, converted to 2010. Compiles with no warnings or anything, but I did
> change the V6 part, to be like V5, V4 etc... The 3.1.3 project worked fine.
>
> But look at the 3.2 2008 project. v2, v3,v4,v5 has special settings for the
> ccp files, v6 has not ?
>
> Søren

You can give the updated VS2008 project files in the 3.2.x fixes branch
in SVN if you want.  Might help work a bit better.

--
Tim Bish

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.
it does compile fine now...

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.
If I use the project from the repos, I now get:

1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQBlobMessageMarshaller.obj :
warning LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQBytesMessageMarshaller.obj :
warning LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQDestinationMarshaller.obj :
warning LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQMapMessageMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQMessageMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQObjectMessageMarshaller.obj :
warning LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQQueueMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQStreamMessageMarshaller.obj :
warning LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQTempDestinationMarshaller.obj :
warning LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQTempQueueMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQTempTopicMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQTextMessageMarshaller.obj :
warning LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ActiveMQTopicMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\BaseCommandMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\BrokerIdMarshaller.obj : warning LNK4042:
object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\BrokerInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ConnectionControlMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ConnectionErrorMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ConnectionIdMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ConnectionInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ConsumerControlMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ConsumerIdMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ConsumerInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ControlCommandMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\DataArrayResponseMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\DataResponseMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\DestinationInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\DiscoveryEventMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ExceptionResponseMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\FlushCommandMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\IntegerResponseMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\JournalQueueAckMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\JournalTopicAckMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\JournalTraceMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\JournalTransactionMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\KeepAliveInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\LastPartialCommandMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\LocalTransactionIdMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\MarshallerFactory.obj : warning LNK4042:
object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\MessageAckMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\MessageDispatchMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\MessageDispatchNotificationMarshaller.obj
: warning LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\MessageIdMarshaller.obj : warning LNK4042:
object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\MessageMarshaller.obj : warning LNK4042:
object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\MessagePullMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\NetworkBridgeFilterMarshaller.obj :
warning LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\PartialCommandMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ProducerAckMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ProducerIdMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ProducerInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\RemoveInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\RemoveSubscriptionInfoMarshaller.obj :
warning LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ReplayCommandMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ResponseMarshaller.obj : warning LNK4042:
object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\SessionIdMarshaller.obj : warning LNK4042:
object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\SessionInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\ShutdownInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\SubscriptionInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\TransactionIdMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\TransactionInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\WireFormatInfoMarshaller.obj : warning
LNK4042: object specified more than once; extras ignored
1>Debug\activemq-cpp\activemq-cpp\XATransactionIdMarshaller.obj : warning

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 04:51 -0700, Sodan wrote:
> for now... what is the immediate solution to the problem below ?
> (everything else seems to compile and work just fine)
>
> activemq\ResourceLifecycleManager.obj : warning LNK4042: object specified
> more than once
> activemq\src\main\activemq\cmsutil\ResourceLifecycleManager.cpp
> and
> activemq\src\main\decaf\internal\util\ResourceLifecycleManager.cpp
>
> thanx,
> Søren

At this time I don't know of a solution to this issue, I assume there's
a compiler option to get the VS2010 compiler to respect the unique name
of the class via its namespace but I haven't had time to search for it,
if you want to look into it we'd love to know the answer.

Regards

--
Tim Bish

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.
for now... what is the immediate solution to the problem below ?
(everything else seems to compile and work just fine)

activemq\ResourceLifecycleManager.obj : warning LNK4042: object specified
more than once
activemq\src\main\activemq\cmsutil\ResourceLifecycleManager.cpp
and
activemq\src\main\decaf\internal\util\ResourceLifecycleManager.cpp

thanx,
Søren

Re: activemq-cpp 3.2.0 vs2005-build directory is missing

Posted by an...@uk.bnpparibas.com.
IMO this reinforces the benefits of using a tool like MPC. It can generate
Visual Studio files for specified versions of Visual Sudio, including
vc10, at a the flick of a switch. We could provide pre-generated versions
for vc8, vc9 and vc10 in directories with these names that would then be
part of the distribution.

Regards,

Andrew Marlow

Internet
sodan@sodan.dk
21/06/2010 10:55
Please respond to
users@activemq.apache.org

users@activemq.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: activemq-cpp 3.2.0 vs2005-build directory is missing

I just tried to use my VC10 project, but it fails many places... like:

1>  OpenwireStringSupport.cpp
1>..\src\main\activemq\wireformat\openwire\utils\OpenwireStringSupport.cpp(47):
error C2661: 'decaf::io::DataInputStream::readFully' : no overloaded
function takes 3 arguments
1>..\src\main\activemq\wireformat\openwire\utils\OpenwireStringSupport.cpp(181):
error C2661: 'decaf::io::OutputStream::write' : no overloaded function
takes
3 arguments

Søren
- - -

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 10:19 +0100, andrew.marlow@uk.bnpparibas.com
wrote:
> I have just tried to build activemq-cpp 3.2.0 for Microsoft-Windows (XP
> SP3) using Visual Studio 2005 (aka vc8) but it does not build. It looks
> like the directory vs2005-build has gone missing.
>
> Copying the one from 3.1.0 into 3.2.0 does not work either. It fails to
> find the command msbuild, whatever that is.
>
> I would to see activemq-cpp use a platform-independent build system. There
> are several to choose from. This would make it easier to support multiple
> platforms, particularly Microsoft-Windows as well as Unix-like systems.
> The one I use is MPC, MakeProjectCreator. I have heard that CMake is also
> popular. I dont mind very much which one is chosen but I think it would be
> useful to choose one of them, rather than maintain different build systems
> manually. If other peole don't mind which build system is used and don't
> mind moving to a cross-platform build system then I volunteer to provide
> MPC files. If we moved in this direction we could still include the
> generated Makefiles in the distro so that it compiles for Unix out of the
> box.
>
> Regards,

Cross platform build tools are a myth really, the CMake and the other
tool don't provide support of legacy platforms like older HP-UX and AIX
that are required for ActiveMQ-CPP, the Autoconf tools work across every
unix OS we've needed so far.

You're welcome to come up with a solution for creating Windows build
files and contribute that to the project, the simplest approach would
probably be to create a set of MSBuild files that could build the
library and other samples and test exe's, that would enable the command
line tools in the Windows 7 SDK to build the library.

Regards

--
Tim Bish

Posted by Sodan <so...@sodan.dk>.
I did my own project some time ago with visual studio 2010.
Works fine.

:-)
Søren

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
wrote:
> I don't understand how peole are building with Visual Studio given that
> the project/solution files are missing. Can someone explain please?
>
> Regards,

Yes, the studio projects didn't get bundled into the release archive due
to an error in the packaging script, you can get them from the SVN
location here:

"svn co
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/activemq-cpp/branches/activemq-cpp-3.2.x/activemq-cpp/vs2008-build vs2008-build"

Regards