Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andre Eisenbach <an...@eisenbach.com> on 2003/06/13 00:58:39 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache is killing me...

...well, my server anyway...

I'm running Apache 2 on a RedHat Linux 7.3 server (I've been running 1.3 before with the same results though).

The server is hosting only 5 small websites with about 50GB of traffic per month. Really nothing special. The server load is usually about 0.50 or less and very responsive. Which confirms that the server really is up to the task. There are usually about 15 httpd processes running.

But about once a week (sometimes every two weeks), all of a sudden something goes nuts.

The server load spikes to almost 300+ (!!!), completely grinding the server to a halt. You can barely login at that point (remotely). The only way to get the server back under control is stoping apache and restarting it. No need to reboot. During the spike, there are over 120+ apache processes running. The logs don't show anything bad. MRTG shows the bandwith usage to go to almost 0 during these spikes, but that could be simply because the snmp server is not able to respond under the system load. Here's what such a spike looks like in MRTG:
http://eisenbach.com/~andre/posted/apache_spike.jpg

I can't login locally since the server is hosted somewhere else...

Any ideas?

Cheers,
  Andre

RE: [users@httpd] Apache is killing me...

Posted by Sander Holthaus - Orange XL <in...@orangexl.com>.
I'm thinking the same here. Not sure how much memory you have, but with some
may clents at once I can see a potential problem.
I could be a spider or bot, but not a good one, since it doesn't obey any
rules/RFC by the looks of it.

Kind Regards,
Sander Holthaus

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.