Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Nt Never <nt...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/05 19:10:31 UTC

Re: map output compression codec setting issue

Hi Arun,

thanks for your reply, I am CCing this e-mail to hadoop-dev. I will create
the appropriate JIRA tickets today. Here are a few insights about my
experience with Hadoop compression (all my comments apply to 0.13.0):

1. Map output compression: besides the issue I mentioned to you guys about
choosing two different codecs for map output and overall job output, it
works very well for us. I have been using non-native map output compression
on jobs that generate over 6Tb of data with no problems. Since I am using
0.13.0, because of HADOOP-1193, I could test LZO native on very small jobs
only. Our benchmarks show no degradation in performance whatsoever when
using native-LZO.

2. Compression type configuration: we noticed a small issue with the
configuration here. If "io.seqfile.compression,type" is set to NONE in
hadoop-site.xml, M/R jobs will not do any compression and there is no way to
override it programmatically. As a matter of fact, each worker machine will
end up using the value read from the local hadoop conf folder. I like the
fact that each worker reads this property locally when creating generic
SequenceFile(s), but, IMHO, the behavior of M/R jobs should be set in
JobConf only. This issue is very easy to reproduce.

3. Non-native GzipCodec: the codec returns Java's
java.util.zip.GzipOutputStream and java.util.zip.GzipInputStream when native
compression is not available. However, lines 197, 238, 299, and 357 of
SequenceFile (basically all the createWriter() methods that select a
compression codec) will throw an IllegalArgumentException if the GzipCodec
is selected but the native library is *not* available. Why is that?

4. Reduce reported progress when consuming compressed map outputs: is
generally incorrect, with reducers reporting over 220% completion. This is
regardless of whether native compression is used or not.

Best,

Riccardo

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@yahoo-inc.com>.
> >4. Reduce reported progress when consuming compressed map
> outputs: is
> >generally incorrect, with reducers reporting over 220%
> completion. This
> >is regardless of whether native compression is used or not.
>
> This smells like a bug, please file a jira asap!
> I'm guessing this could be due to the fact that we are
> checking the size of uncompressed key/value pairs rather than
> the compressed sizes. Devaraj?

Riccardo, pls file a jira issue for this one.
Thanks,
Devaraj.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Riccardo,