Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Matthieu Baechler <mb...@linagora.com> on 2015/04/09 10:38:49 UTC

Contributions

Hi,

I work for an free software company, Linagora, and with my team, we are
working to have James fit our needs.
Two of our interns already submitted some code regarding Cassandra
support and some bugfixes on James itself (Philippe Benoit and Benoit
Tellier).
We are making our team bigger and have multiple goals that I'd like to
share with you:
1. have James 3.0 released !
2. writing backends to run James on Cassandra/ElasticSearch/Kafka
3. write some mailet or other extensions to match our products
functional needs

So we are currently working to contribute all the code we wrote for goal 2.

In this regard, I'd like to know several things :

- I see in james-parent 1.8.3-SNAPSHOT that James targets java 6. What
about pushing it to java 7 now that Java 6 is end-of-life ?

- is it acceptable to contribute backends that require java 8 (with some
magic to disable build if java < 8). We would really like writing modern
Java for our modules !

- Could James projet make use of apache integration
(https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and)
with github to accept contributions ? I know some others apache projects
amend their contribution guidelines to make it possible (
https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html ). We could just import
their practices into James, don't you think ?

Feel free to make me to redirect my questions to the right place if it's
not.

Matthieu Baechler

Re: Contributions

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
On 04/09/2015 11:20 AM, David Salvador wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work at a company that developes software for Telecoms, and I'm also
> developing a project on-top of Apache James. I'm also interested in
> the question Matthieu made regarding pushing James to Java 7 (or maybe
> 8).

We could imagine releasing 3.0.0 on jdk6 and 3.1.0 (same code baseline)
on jdk7+

> I would also like to know (regarding IMAP), if there is any roadmap
> for implementing the LISTSTATUS extension (RFC 5819), or if anyone is
> working on them, if so, I could help/join.

Didn't see this. Maybe someone can pop up here...

> I would also like to know if anyone is working on Documentation, i
> found out that it was really hard to start developing on top of James,
> because the lack of Documentation and fragmentation of the project.

There are sub-projects, and there is (too much?) documentation
Did you see http://james.apache.org/server/3/dev-build.html ?

This can explain the quite long learning curve.

Feel free to contribute for a better James.

Re: Contributions

Posted by David Salvador <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Contributions

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Can you just point me to the JIRA that you consider as ready.
Thx, Eric

Re: Contributions

Posted by Benoit Tellier <bt...@linagora.com>.
Hi,