Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/04 11:05:59 UTC

Proposal to have an Ant task to resolve ecllipse projects' classpath dependencies at runtime.

Hi,

I am using Ant for last four years and really addicted to its simplicity and
cleanliness, though there are lot of tools around but can not really feel to
migrate to any tool. It is also damn easy to write own custom tasks (using
scripting langauges like javascript etc. and Java itself) and get the work
done; though writing own tasks has its own pain for maintenance in the long
run; but flalessly Ant has been a standard in build tools world.

Eclipse is being used a standard IDE for various Development platoforms and
I do not really find a good competitor of Eclipse as far as its features are
concerned.

Since people love Ant and also Eclipse being an standard IDE, I feel at
times that there should be a Ant task which could read the .classpath and
.project files and provide and kind of property which has resolved classpath
entries on which project depends on.

This task would really reduce the pain to define the dependencies of the
project which needs to be defined manaually in case dependencies gets
changed / or added to the project's classpath.

I hope this would further increase the Ant usage and people would really
find it useful in their projects' dependency resolution.

Thoughts ?

-RR

Re: Proposal to have an Ant task to resolve ecllipse projects' classpath dependencies at runtime.

Posted by Gilbert Rebhan <an...@schillbaer.de>.
projects' 	classpath dependencies at runtime.
From: Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com>
To: Ant Users List <us...@ant.apache.org>
Date: 07.04.2010 15:38

[...]
>>> Since people love Ant and also Eclipse being an standard IDE, I feel at
>>> times that there should be a Ant task which could read the .classpath and
>>> .project files and provide and kind of property which has resolved
>> classpath
>>> entries on which project depends on.
>>>
>>> This task would really reduce the pain to define the dependencies of the
>>> project which needs to be defined manaually in case dependencies gets
>>> changed / or added to the project's classpath.
>>>
>>> I hope this would further increase the Ant usage and people would really
>>> find it useful in their projects' dependency resolution.
>>>
>>> Thoughts ?
>>
>> don't bother, see =
>> http://www.ant4eclipse.org/
>> (formerly hosted on sourceforge =
>> http://ant4eclipse.sourceforge.net/ant-for-eclipse-home.html)
>>

> Thanks Gilbert, I was expecting a more loigcal reply in a positive
> approach,  if there are constraints or policy breach or licensing issues
> which prevents this  ? ;-) I am no one to bother you just a expectation and
> thoughts everybody can share with users / developers. I hope you would not
> take it personally ;-)
> Having a single task in ant core distribution does not harm, instead of
> polluting build scripts with taskdefs and memory overheads.

Hi, Ravi

sorry, you got me wrong, so i try to respond in a more
logical way ;-)

'Don't bother' is a common phrase/idiom in english, which
doesn't mean Don't bother me/us in the literal sense,
but something like:

don't inconvenience yourself
don't make any circumstances
don't trouble yourself

because http://www.ant4eclipse.org is a mature project providing
a bunch of eclipse specific ant tasks ready to use
No need to roll your own :-)

There are no licensing or other issues i know of.
IMO a task, that is usable only with one of several major IDE's
is to specific to put it in ant core.
That should be part of projects like ant4eclipse.

OK, maybe you don't like the library dependencies ant4eclipse has =
antcontrib, ecj, org.eclipse.osgi
but that's business as usual in the java world, nearly everything
- and many ant tasks also - has it's dependencies.
Some call it the 'jar hell'  :->

If you need only part of ant4eclipse features and want to write
your own task, you may use the relevant parts of ant4eclipse sources as
base to start from.

Best Regards, Gilbert

Re: Proposal to have an Ant task to resolve ecllipse projects' classpath dependencies at runtime.

Posted by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Gilbert Rebhan <an...@schillbaer.de> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks!

Posted by Gilbert Rebhan <an...@schillbaer.de>.
> Since people love Ant and also Eclipse being an standard IDE, I feel at
> times that there should be a Ant task which could read the .classpath and
> .project files and provide and kind of property which has resolved classpath
> entries on which project depends on.
>
> This task would really reduce the pain to define the dependencies of the
> project which needs to be defined manaually in case dependencies gets
> changed / or added to the project's classpath.
>
> I hope this would further increase the Ant usage and people would really
> find it useful in their projects' dependency resolution.
>
> Thoughts ?

don't bother, see =
http://www.ant4eclipse.org/
(formerly hosted on sourceforge =