Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org> on 2022/01/21 17:06:54 UTC

[CI] Fwd: dockerhub limitations - maximum user count reached

For the record, here is a message from INFRA.  I don't remember if we
use an Apache account at Docker Hub?

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

In <53...@python.org>
  "Re: [CI] Fwd: dockerhub limitations - maximum user count reached" on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:27:20 +0100,
  Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org> wrote:

>> It may be better that we use ghcr.io (Docker registry
>> provided by GitHub) instead of Docker Hub. Because we use
>> our Docker images only for CI. They are not intended to be
>> used by users.
>
> Perhaps by "users" you mean non-Arrow developers?

Yes.

> The Docker images are definitely useful to reproduce
> issues locally, or to run certain builds.

Developers can still use Docker images that are used for CI
with ghcr.io. And developer's workflow isn't changed.

Developers use Archery or raw docker-compose.yml. Docker
image URLs (including ghcr.io/) are embedded in
docker-compose.yml. So developers don't need to care about
Docker image URLs. Developers don't need to change their
command lines.

kou

Re: [CI] Fwd: dockerhub limitations - maximum user count reached

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

> It may be better that we use ghcr.io (Docker registry
> provided by GitHub) instead of Docker Hub. Because we use
> our Docker images only for CI. They are not intended to be
> used by users. All Apache Arrow committers will be able to
> push ghcr.io/apache/arrow.

Just a comment from a friendly Airflow Maintainer - absolutely. Use Ghcr.io
for that.

We were very unhappy with DockerHub used in CI due to slowness, delays and
the need to have separate authentication tokens. We switched to ghcr.io in
Airflow immediately when they were available (even when they were in beta)
and it works very well since. It can be very nicely integrated with GitHub
Actions (temporary tokens in "main" / "workflow_run" / "workflow_targe"
builds might be used to securely get "selective" write access only to the
registry. The registry has a nice API (for example allowing retention of
old images).

J.

Re: [CI] Fwd: dockerhub limitations - maximum user count reached

Posted by Phillip Cloud <cp...@gmail.com>.
+1 for using ghcr.io. It integrates well with GitHub (e.g., the packages
feature) and is generally a better user experience than dockerhub.

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 6:27 AM Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org> wrote:

> Le 22/01/2022 à 05:20, Sutou Kouhei a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > We use asfjenkins account on apache/arrow but we use my
> > account or Krisztián's account on ursacomputing/crossbow for
> > Crossbow. (We set Docker Hub account information on GitHub
> > Actions and Azure Pipelines for ursacomputing/crossbow.)
> >
> > It may be better that we use ghcr.io (Docker registry
> > provided by GitHub) instead of Docker Hub. Because we use
> > our Docker images only for CI. They are not intended to be
> > used by users.
>
> Perhaps by "users" you mean non-Arrow developers? The Docker images are
> definitely useful to reproduce issues locally, or to run certain builds.

You can enable selective permissions, like public reads and private writes,
so anyone who wants
to can pull the images, while not just anyone can push to the registry.

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

We use asfjenkins account on apache/arrow but we use my
account or Krisztián's account on ursacomputing/crossbow for
Crossbow. (We set Docker Hub account information on GitHub
Actions and Azure Pipelines for ursacomputing/crossbow.)

It may be better that we use ghcr.io (Docker registry
provided by GitHub) instead of Docker Hub. Because we use
our Docker images only for CI. They are not intended to be
used by users. All Apache Arrow committers will be able to
push ghcr.io/apache/arrow.

BTW, we only need my account and Krisztián's account for
now. It seems that we have 3 accounts:

  * kszucs (Krisztián's account)
  * pitrou (Antoine's account)
  * ktou (my account)

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19499?focusedCommentId=16989793&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16989793

We can use only one Docker Hub account for our use case by
updating secrets on GitHub Actions and Azure Pipelines for
ursacomputing/crossbow. So we can remove at most two
Docker Hub accounts from the Apache organization .

kou

In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.