Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Libo Yu <yu...@hotmail.com> on 2014/04/02 15:06:35 UTC

single node's performance and cluster's performance

Hi all,

I read an  article yesterday about Hbase. It says if a region server
has a performance hit by heavy IO, that will impact the whole cluster.
So I want to know how a single node's performance issue will slow
down all the cluster. Thanks.

Libo

Re: single node's performance and cluster's performance

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 6:06 AM, Libo Yu <yu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I read an  article yesterday about Hbase. It says if a region server
> has a performance hit by heavy IO, that will impact the whole cluster.
> So I want to know how a single node's performance issue will slow
> down all the cluster. Thanks.

Link to the article?
St.Ack

Re: single node's performance and cluster's performance

Posted by Esteban Gutierrez <es...@cloudera.com>.
I think "having one such "slow" RS will make the whole cluster work slower
(basically, at its speed)." is not 100% accurate.

The "slowness" usually affects HDFS and ripples into HBase in many
different ways. I've seen in some cases  the DN process is not started and
HBase needs to get all the blocks from the network and that affects all
operations on that RS. In other cases is just an unresponsive drive that
causes the HDFS pipeline to be slow for some clients and that causes write
operations to randomly stall (due appending to the WAL) for few seconds
across the cluster, and in some other cases the NIC speed flips to 100mbits
causing all kind of issues (compactions or the memstore flushing taking
longer).

esteban.

--
Cloudera, Inc.