Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Neil Patel <ne...@medtronic.com> on 2002/08/05 20:51:43 UTC

load times

I am trying to measure the load times of various documents. Is there anything in Batik/Java that allows you to document or output into the console the load times in seconds for a specific file from load to rendering to display? Also, is Batik. 1.5 faster than 1.1 in terms of loading a standard SVG files w/out any sort of scripting? If so, is there a documented or advertised % out there?

thanks,
neil

load times

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

NP> I am trying to measure the load times of various documents. Is
NP> there anything in Batik/Java that allows you to document or output
NP> into the console the load times in seconds for a specific file
NP> from load to rendering to display?

    Check out Edit->Preferences->Browser Options

'Optional Behaviours' Tab -> 'Show Debug Trace'

This shows essentially exactly what you are looking for in Squiggle. I
don't think there is something equivilent for the rasterizer.  Also if
you are benchmarking the rasterizer be _really_ careful as the first
one or two image are _much_ slower than the rest because it is loading
lots of class files 'on demand' and the JIT is doing lots of work.

The worst thing you can do is rasterize one document at a time...

NP> Also, is Batik. 1.5 faster than 1.1 in terms of loading a standard
NP> SVG files w/out any sort of scripting? If so, is there a
NP> documented or advertised % out there?  thanks, neil

    I think 1.5 has a much faster CSS engine in it (I'm not 100%
certain it went in after 1.1 but I'm pretty sure it did), for some
files the difference in loading can be significant.  I don't know that
we have put togeather a real % improvement measurement.  It also
matters how your content is structured as to how much of a difference
it makes.