Posted to dev@sedona.apache.org by Alessandro Saccoia <al...@gmail.com> on 2021/10/03 07:23:03 UTC

Sedona parameters explanation

Hi list,

In view of using framework up to its full potential, I wonder if you can
point to any resource, or anyone is even willing to give a short tutorial
about the differences and the use cases of the different types of spatial
partitioning listed here:

https://sedona.apache.org/api/sql/Parameter/

Thank you,
Best
Alessandro

Re: Sedona parameters explanation

Posted by Jia Yu <ji...@apache.org>.
Hi Alessandro,

The performance of different index and partitioning methods is studied in
our paper:
"Spatial Data Management in Apache Spark: The GeoSpark Perspective and
Beyond"
<https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1007/s10707-018-0330-9?author_access_token=uN-xyHoyjIdl5eEkjN1PGPe4RwlQNchNByi7wbcMAY5FIy3715vvIQJ9siUDSsvKSCPSmrCsBtxOtdEB_GyuKrtBlViQhVx6JCZOXsifPdBZY7jWZcukeQQzhfGNyMG_XMyrXooXxi9zorwme2tlMw%3D%3D>
(research
paper). Jia Yu, Zongsi Zhang, Mohamed Sarwat. Geoinformatica Journal 2018.
https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1007/s10707-018-0330-9?author_access_token=uN-xyHoyjIdl5eEkjN1PGPe4RwlQNchNByi7wbcMAY5FIy3715vvIQJ9siUDSsvKSCPSmrCsBtxOtdEB_GyuKrtBlViQhVx6JCZOXsifPdBZY7jWZcukeQQzhfGNyMG_XMyrXooXxi9zorwme2tlMw%3D%3D

Most likely, you won't need to change other parameters. To change the
number of partitions, you can do df.repartition, similar to this:
https://sedona.apache.org/tutorial/Advanced-Tutorial-Tune-your-Application/#be-aware-of-spatial-rdd-partitions

You can also try broadcast join if one side of your join query is very
small: https://sedona.apache.org/api/sql/Optimizer/#broadcast-join

Thanks,
Jia